Disney to acquire 21st Century Fox making it an even larger entertainment giant

Greg S

Disney has formalized an agreement to purchase 21st Century Fox in an all-stock deal with an estimated value of $52.4 billion. The deal includes key assets such as 20th Century Fox movie studio, FX and National Geographic channels, as well as Fox's television studios.

Many iconic films have made their way out of 20th Century Fox. Movies such as Miracle on 34th Street, Titanic, Avatar, the original Star Wars film, and The Grapes of Wrath will all become a part of Disney. However, Fox News, FS1 sports channel, and the Fox broadcast network are being retained by Fox.

Current CEO of Disney Robert Iger believes that the acquisition offers "the ability to marry the great content of Fox with the great content of Disney." Iger went on to explain that one of the reasons Disney was interested in the deal was to expand its international presence and to impact consumers in new ways.

Although large acquisitions and mergers often cause uncertainty in leadership, Disney has also announced that Iger will remain the acting CEO through 2021. Unfortunately for some staff at 20th Century Fox and fans of their movies, Walt Disney Studios may absorb some of the newly acquired employees following final approval from regulators.

There is some speculation that Disney may eventually go after cord cutters and start its own content delivery platform to compete with Netflix and cable TV providers. Even if Disney does not want to start its own platform, it will own 60% of Hulu following completion of the deal.

While Disney may not be the next streaming giant anytime soon, it certainly has enough influence in entertainment to shake up the scene. After raking in over $7 billion in box office revenue throughout 2016, expanding to an even wider audience could bring in more record profits.

Permalink to story.

Wow, I need to buy Disney stock like right now.

Naaaaaa .... the time to buy was 6 months ago but you still might make a tidy sum depending on how the market place accepts the new deal .....

I don't know the amount of blow back on ESPN and with losing hundreds of thousands subscribers a month. I would have to take a very hard look to think of buying into Disney, personally I think it's a sell but that's just my opinion. The fact is purchasing so much so quickly can lead to insolvency very quickly if they don't meet their targets.

So the feds block Comcast acquiring Time-Warner but they give this a pass? Also..

"There is some speculation that Disney may eventually go after cord cutters and start its own content delivery platform to compete with Netflix and cable TV providers."

Disney has already said its going to do this and that ALL content it owns will be distributed exclusively through their service. We're witnessing the Balkanization of all digital content, folks.

So much for "cutting the cord" when every little company wants you to pay for their own media viewing. Costs saved: zero (in the red actually)

Guess I'll continue to go without any TV or streaming service. 3+ years and counting. I haven't bought any movies (nor stole any) since RIAA/MPAA took down slysoft.com. You lose, media companies. Several thousand $ from me alone. Care to lose any more?

So much for "cutting the cord" when every little company wants you to pay for their own media viewing. Costs saved: zero (in the red actually)

Guess I'll continue to go without any TV or streaming service. 3+ years and counting. I haven't bought any movies (nor stole any) since RIAA/MPAA took down slysoft.com. You lose, media companies. Several thousand $ from me alone. Care to lose any more?
you know all they did is move their site n changed their name to redfox, something like that.
as of a yr ago they were fine. now if something happened this yr then I dont know as I just use a fire stick now.

you know all they did is move their site n changed their name to redfox, something like that.
as of a yr ago they were fine. now if something happened this yr then I dont know as I just use a fire stick now.

Ah, yes I know they changed the name shortly after, but the lifetime license I bought did not transfer. They want all us to buy another license... I haven't had anything to do with them since.

Streaming is compressed data, and you lose a lot of definition of audio/video. Most people could care less, but people with a mid-high end system will. I will be building a home theater room, and streaming on a 120" screen will not cut it. The fire stick is extremely limiting as I've read on a few sites.

The only thing you need to know about Disney is that they are a pedophile run organization. Don't support them.

Ah, yes I know they changed the name shortly after, but the lifetime license I bought did not transfer. They want all us to buy another license... I haven't had anything to do with them since.

Streaming is compressed data, and you lose a lot of definition of audio/video. Most people could care less, but people with a mid-high end system will. I will be building a home theater room, and streaming on a 120" screen will not cut it. The fire stick is extremely limiting as I've read on a few sites.
yea my license didnt transfer over. I also stopped using them. was a fan of all that.

I have no issue watching stuff on the fire stick. all the new stuff shows up on there. there is just different apps to use, I use exodos. seems to work fine.

#ShagnWagn, you could use my 'trick': I get my movies from the local library, just watched Wonder Woman last night. They have over 20,000 the check out; movies for a week (for free), TV series & edu for 3 weeks (for free).
My tax dollars at work for me for a change. :)

Back