Display adaptor not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having all sorts of troubles over the past few days.
It all started when I uploaded and ran several products from UniBlue.
I ran Registry Booster, followed by Driver Booster followed by SpeedUpMyPC.
Afterwhich, the display dropped to 800x600 and was remarkably slow.
Upon invsetigating my display adaptor hardware in device manager, I discovered that my nVidia drivers were gone and all that was left was what appeared to be the default MS driver. After some futzing around trying to get my nVidia back up, I thought that if I disabled the stock adaptor, then the next time I booted up I would get my nVidia back.
Well, yes and no. When I reboot, all is well right up to just after the XP boot up screen, then nothing - nada - black.
But if I press F8 during initial boot up and choose Directory Services Mode, I can get all the way to my normal looking desktop (albeit in Safe mode) and the nVidia driver seem to be in operation.
?!?!?!
Any ideas?!?!?

alcraig

Get back in to safe mode, device manager and delete the display adapter in the list. Reboot the computer and see if Windows installs a generic display driver for you. If it does, get to Nvidias website and reinstall the correct driver. Do you have a video card or are you using on-board video?

When I attempt to go into safe mode, I get a whole bunch of lines of text, with the final 2 lines being something like:
windows/system32/drivers/mup.sys
windows/system32/drivers/avgrkx86.sys

and then it hangs there and does not go to safe mode.
I did get in via Directory Services mode once and used that opportunity to load the Nvidia drivers that I needed.

Once I got into debugging mode and it ran a chkdsk and discovered some bad sectors and failed to fix them.

But now I can't get in anywhere. It'll boot all through to the Windows XP billboard but then goes blank (yet the windows welcome music rolls in). My monitor shows a very low resolution in its menu page. I can blindly control windows, but I can't see a thing

al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back