"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

Cephas

Hi all, so yesterday I upgraded my laptop's OS from Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional N.

I have a feeling I may have messed up the drivers somehow by restoring the same ones from the old OS...

Every half-hour or so, if I'm doing something strenuous on the old girl like YouTube/Netflix/gaming etc., the screen freezes, fills with colourful dots, goes fuzzy and restores back to normal, showing the message "Display driver AMD stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

I've tried using the Microsoft Fixit Registry editor, but that didn't seem to do anything, nor did a scan with one of those dubious registry cleaners.

Any suggestions?

Oh wow... Now I'm quite scared. Just had a particularly dramatic blue screen of death; lots of loud noise and pixelation. So much so that I couldn't even read the error message.

Even the boot was alarmingly buggy; looked like I was trying to catch missingno. on the startup screen...

The "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" popup tells me this:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.49
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA80041864E0
BCP2: FFFFF880048E7EFC
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\062714-19640-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Temp\WER-26520-0.sysdata.xml

I'm starting to get quite worried so have backed up my data. Any guidance as to how to proceed would be more than welcome...

Have you tried uninstalling your video driver? Then let windows install it video driver. From their go to the video card or chips manufacture. Then download the correct update driver for your make or model of card or chip. Use their clean install. See if this helps.

I've just tried rolling back and updating using Windows device manager, restarted, but it hasn't seemed to fix the problem. :/

Try uninstalling the driver. Sounds like some of it files maybe corrupt. You should be able to remove the driver. Threw program and features in the control panel.

I've tried again to completely reinstall windows and let the drivers update themselves.

Still no luck...

Or you may have to go back to your original windows version. I would recommend going into your BIOS, default your settings, first. Then go from there. Do check for any BIOS updates as well.

Back