Distorted display problem

Hi, I have acer aspire laptop and Intel HD graphics 4000
I recently have this problem after start up or sometime even in start up
I can see background and acer logo even in distorted screen very vaguely. I can enter password and can log in even in distorted screen.
Sometimes it works fine for some period like 5 to 10 minutes sometimes even for 2 to 3 hours.
Is this an hardware or software problem? How can I solve?

If problem is dimness, check information about display - the backlight is failing.

If backlight is bright, but display shows distortion (slanted lines, etc), then it may be the display or the connection of display to GPU or the GPU itself.

Some of these are reasonably easy to replace if you have good small tools skill.

A photo might get you more specifics...include model number.

If problem is dimness, check information about display - the backlight is failing.

If backlight is bright, but display shows distortion (slanted lines, etc), then it may be the display or the connection of display to GPU or the GPU itself.

Some of these are reasonably easy to replace if you have good small tools skill.

I'm trying to upload pictures but it says it's is too large to upload in this server.
And yes it shows distortion slanted line.
Importantly it is not always distorted from power up. It distorts after sometime from power up ( when I press power button) not start up. after distortion if I shutdown and power up immediately it distorts from start.
If I give time and power up it starts normally and distortes after some time. Are you sure it is an hardware issue?

Looks to be that your backlight is good.

If you can, try attaching to an external monitor.... if you have 'color bars' on the secondary monitor, then it is an issue with GPU (heat build up, RAM failure, insufficient TIM, etc).... if no 'color bars', then most likely you have a ribbon cable failure (loose, corroded, cracked, etc).

GPU issues may be corrected by [1] thorough cleaning [2] replacing TIM [3] replacing GPU.

Ribbon cable issues can be corrected by [1] reseating the ribbon cable [2] replacing ribbon cable.

In order of increasing expense: [1] reseating the ribbon cable [2] thorough cleaning [3] replacing TIM [4] replacing ribbon cable [5] replacing GPU

Very important that you identify your system by model number , and specifics like GPU, manufacturing date, etc if you start buying parts (I blew $20 on RAM when I was one digit off on the model)

Locate and study several YouTube videos before you tear down your system.

It’s an integrated GPU so if there was an issue with the TIM, then the whole CPU would be bailing out. It looks more like a display connection issue.

It does look like a hardware problem. The first thing I would do to troubleshoot is to hook up and external monitor and see if it works ok. If it does you need to check the connection to the lcd (and it could be the lcd itself). If it has the same problem, then you are probably in for some serious troubleshooting.

Back