Dmz host problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
when using dmz host on my router, my computer speeds drop from about 6000kbps to 1000 kbps. anyone have an idea as to why? the tech support people at linksys cant figure it out.

Most likely your software firewall can't take the load.

DMZ means that all the incoming connections end up on your computer and if you are running some bells and whistles behemoth like ZoneAlarm or Norton then it will eat up a big chunk of your CPU cycles.

What firewall software do you have there? Make sure you don't have two of them running. Also, try uninstalling all other network filters like VPN or packet capture.

dmz hosting issue reply

Hi:
I am running windowsXP home edition SP2 firewall. That is the only software firewall i am using.

OK. Turn the Windows firewall off for a minute? Only do this if you have a fully patched Windows installation and only for the time it takes to test the speed.

What speeds are we talking about here? Did you use an online speed test or are we talking about some specific program?

If you have a cable connection then your upload speed is on the expense of your download speed.

Also, check the process list and sort it by the CPU usage to see anything there that may be the bottleneck.

Already tried with windowsXP firewall and Mcafee antivirus completely turned off.
Ran windows update last week, it is up to date.

Flashed router with latest firmware release.

Normal speeds are [via dsl report speed test, 5700-6500kbps download and 900-925kbps upload.] Also ran a download test from my isps ftp site and got average of 770KB/sec x 8=6160kbps.

WITH DMZ HOST ENABLED- speeds reduce to 725kbps-1000kbps on dsl reports and 350-425kbps for upload.

Below are my RWIN settings set up for broadband, and also a tweak test result from dsl reports.

Receive Window (RWIN): 131070
Window Scaling: 1
Path MTU Discovery: OFF
RFC1323 Window Scaling: ON
RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF
Selective Acks: ON
MSS requested: 1460
TTL: unknown
TTL remaining: 114

2. Test 146000 byte download
Actual data bytes sent: 146000
Actual data packets: 100
Max packet sent (MTU): 1500
Max packet recd (MTU): 1500
Retransmitted data packets: 0
sacks you sent: 0
pushed data pkts: 3
data transmit time: 0.316 secs
our max idletime: 34.1 ms
transfer rate: 304624 bytes/sec
transfer rate: 2436 kbits/sec
This is not a speed test!
transfer efficiency: 100%

3. ICMP (ping) check
Target unpingable

Notes and recommendations:
RWIN is in range
Looking good

Good data stream (no/few rexmits)

Become pingable
if you need basic packet loss tests done
Check tweak FAQ

We can also assume that you have a ****ty router..

Test the connection speeds using a CD Linux? If you have the same problem with Linux then you should look over your router settings. Maybe disable some functions like packet filtering. Or maybe enable intrusion detection to drop bad connections right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back