DNS problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankcpl

I have a few problems with this Client server network that has me really puzzled. This network has a DNS server that is used as a application server. It is running server 2003. There is a cable modem that is connect to a router that supplies the DHCP. Who ever set them up has the DHCP running on the router at let say 192.168.0.1 IP address, and the DNS at 192.168.0.5. The problem that continuely comes up is one or more computers will lose site of the server. I still pulls a valid IP address, but is not able to acces the server. The internet comes in through the cable modem to the router into a switch. The server is only connected to the switch with one cable. If that helps.

frankcpl said:
the router at let say 192.168.0.1 IP address, and the DNS at 192.168.0.5. The problem that continuely comes up is one or more computers will lose site of the server. I still pulls a valid IP address, but is not able to acces the server. The internet comes in through the cable modem to the router into a switch. The server is only connected to the switch with one cable. If that helps.
so only a few systems loose the DNS and others are ok? would expect all or
nothing behavour here. if it's all/nothing, then the router/DHCP is suspect.
otherwise, each system that looses DNS has some problem in
a) retaining settings (ie suspect adware)
b) unstable NIC (not very likely)

the switch should not matter, but if possible, try cabling directly to the router.

I apologize for not getting back sooner. I have been working on this issue for a while now.
It is like this. I can have everyone running great on the network. The next day they come in, One or two computers error that it can not locate the server. Normally I can just set their IP Address to a static, then reboot then change the DHCP to Automatic and reboot, they connect. The DNS stays static both times.
It is never the same computer though. It could be one that is 10ft from the server or 150ft from the server.
Any Ideas?

is there any chance your DNS server is hibernating and being woken-up by the
first system? which then fails to connect?

your DNS server must never hibernate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back