Do I need a better video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

friend2u

I do not play computer games but I do watch MPEG movies which are stored on my hard drive. Recently I recorded some VHS tapes onto my PC and although they are not bad even using the highest option (MPEG-2 8mbps per sec) leaves them somewhat lower in quality then the original VHS recordings. Do you think a better video card would help?

no, VHS copies are never all that great, but the capture device you use is mainly what will affect the quality of these files. If you get a beetter video card you might even see how bad they really are ;)

what are your ssytem specs, please also include the capture device if it is not internal. Someone may be able to give you some tips to get the quality a bit better, or recommend better capture equipment.

RE: Capture device & PC specs

I am using a 2.66GHZ with 768 RAM (DDR), the capture device is
the TV Wonder VE.

That capture card is likely what is holding you back. The TV Wonder VE is a budget card. The VE stands for Value Edition.
I'm not going to promise you'll see much difference with a better card, but you will likely see some since you won't be dropping frames as badly and will be able to capture at a higher quality with stereo.

You will also get better quality results from higher grade original media once you upgrade your card...something to think about.

You can also clean up the signal with a good software program eg. Pinnacle
Always best to start with the best possible input (hardware) as the guys said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back