Does the Core i5-3330 have 2 or 4 cores?

Hi guys, I have lately upgraded my pc to Core i5 3330 and Asus B75-V plus 4 GB ram 1600 MHz running win 7 32 bit, so far so good. In device manager and BIOS I can see the 4 cores available BUT task manager or CPU-Z just show 2 cores!!! and other softwares make use of 2 cores only.I've updated BIOS to the latest version(801) but nothing changed.
Can win 7 or 8 64 bit or something have an effect?
I'd appreciate it if you friends help me get out of the hell and tell me what's wrong with my PC.

Attachments

• CPU-Z.png
    CPU-Z.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 9
Seems like your cpu is defective if your bios is all intact trying using any default settings or to unplug the cpu out and replug it if it doesnt work u do have the warranty still dont u

Well, I've enabled any options related to CPU in BIOS actually with caution!!
nothing changed!:D

If you're sure all the pertinent BIOS settings are in order, and still your machine is running on two cores only, boot to Windows and click on the Boot tab under msconfig. Click on Advanced options. You should see a clickable box for Number of processors in the Boot advanced options interface. If this box is checked, uncheck it, and reboot.

Hope that helps.

Hi guys, I have lately upgraded my pc to Core i5 3330 and Asus B75-V plus 4 GB ram 1600 MHz running win 7 32 bit, so far so good. In device manager and BIOS I can see the 4 cores available BUT task manager or CPU-Z just show 2 cores!!! and other softwares make use of 2 cores only.I've updated BIOS to the latest version(801) but nothing changed.
Can win 7 or 8 64 bit or something have an effect?
I'd appreciate it if you friends help me get out of the hell and tell me what's wrong with my PC.

if the computer is in idle state, the other cores will be turned off.

try to load a game, then click windows key so that the desktop will appear, then click cpu-z to see if the four cores appear together.

If you're sure all the pertinent BIOS settings are in order, and still your machine is running on two cores only, boot to Windows and click on the Boot tab under msconfig. Click on Advanced options. You should see a clickable box for Number of processors in the Boot advanced options interface. If this box is checked, uncheck it, and reboot.

Hope that helps.
I think there was an article somewhere debunking the claims that checking/increasing the number of processors in the boot advanced options have no direct influence regarding the responsiveness of windows OS.

Thanks everybody for ur help.Finally I overcame the problem.After Installing Win 7 64bit, all 4 cores appeared:p. But I thinks that's because of the clean installation of WIN not only the 32 or 64 bit ver. weird isn't it?

Thanks everybody for ur help.Finally I overcame the problem.After Installing Win 7 64bit, all 4 cores appeared:p. But I thinks that's because of the clean installation of WIN not only the 32 or 64 bit ver. weird isn't it?
No, the "eccentric" part, is thinking you need CPU-Z to check out what Windows believes is the installed CPU.

Windows "Task Manager" (Ctrl + Alt + Del) will give you a core quantity and activity trace , when you click on the "Performance" tab.

Give it a break, Windows can do some stuff pretty darned well.

As something to ponder, it would have been interesting to try a repair installation of the 32 bit OS to see if all four cores would have been detected.

I've never seen Windows fail to detect a CPU correctly, at least in the few machines I've built. Nor have I ever had to change any settings in BIOS relating to a CPU's core/ thread count.

Quite a while back though, there was a Windows update for old AMD quads, (possibly dual cores ?), that weren't being detected as such.

It should be 4 cores and 4 threads. Go into your BIOS and make sure you haven't disabled any of the cores.
. I have a teeny tiny semantic issue with your choice of wording. The CPU in question is a quad core, WITHOUT hyperthreading. So, it has 4 cores which equals 4 threads.

This is important to this discussion because, a CPU with hyperthreading, will show the extra threads, as extra cores.

As an example, Windows will show an i3-530 (2 cores with hyperthread) as a 4 core CPU. It will show an I-7 2700K as an eight core CPU.

This may be nitpicking, but I think it adds a bit of clarity.

Windows "Task Manager" (Ctrl + Alt + Del) will give you a core quantity and activity trace , when you click on the "Performance" tab.
I decided to change my shortcut habit in Windows 7 because "Ctrl + Alt + Del" initializes the login screen. I started right-clicking on the task-bar then selecting "Start Task Manager", which I had never noticed was available in Windows XP.

Aye, so it does! Not to mention bypassing all of those other silly choices.

I just recently got the hang of "Ctrl + B" in Firefox to toggle the sidebar. I use one machine with a vertical monitor, and that sidebar was reeeaaally annoying....:confused: (Old and set in my ways, I suppose).

I decided to change my shortcut habit in Windows 7 because "Ctrl + Alt + Del" initializes the login screen. I started right-clicking on the task-bar then selecting "Start Task Manager", which I had never noticed was available in Windows XP.
Ctrl+Shift+Esc is even better ;) Works on 7 and XP.

Back