Does this mean my harddrive is stuffed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

Basically I've been having a lot of problems. Pc would freeze when accesing data, and then take about 10 seconds to unfreeze. I cant use microsoft office or windows media player. So I downloaded WD diagnostic utilities, installed and ran it, but it would just be stuck on one sector about 50% through. Had to cancel it, so I had a look at logfile and this is what it said:

It just doesnt work, I don't know whats wrong with it. Is it damaged beyond repair?

Korrupt

EDIT: I was gonna attach some event logs, but theyre about 5 times bigger than file limit, so I'll post 2 screenshots:

Looks like you have lots of bad sectors :) Yes, you should get a new drive.

It may be possible to use this drive for less critical data if you partition around the bad zones, but this is doable only if the bad sectors are concentrated to specific areas and are not spreading.

I'd second that.. Backup now and if you're lucky you might get away with using a HDD Regen or 0 wipe on it.. but still use it for non-critical data..

do you have any large encrypted file on the drive
large locked files can start an error write to come up
if you have tried to defrag any part of the drive with this on it you can cause xp to report bad clusters.
HDD regen is a great tool for normal demag of drive
if head is damaged it will not fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back