1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Donald Trump says fictional F-52 jets found only in Call of Duty have been sold to Norway

By midian182 · 74 replies
Jan 12, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Is Donald Trump a secret gamer? Judging from his tweets, no. But it’s a tongue-in-cheek question some people were asking after the President announced that Norway was receiving deliveries of F-52 fighter jets; a fictional plane that exists only in Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

During a White House conference with Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg on Wednesday, Trump lauded the defense relationship between the US and its European ally. He talked about the troubled Lockheed Martin F-35 jets, but his mention of the mysterious F-52 confused.

"In November we started delivering the first F-52 and F-35 fighter jets. We have a total of 52, and they've delivered a number of them already, a little ahead of schedule," Trump said. "It's a $10 billion order. Norway also invests about one-third of its sovereign wealth fund in American businesses, supporting hundreds of thousands of American jobs. They're very big investors in our stock market, and therefore the Prime Minister thanked me very much."

The F-52 appears in the “Throttle” mission of COD: Advanced Warfare’s single-player campaign. In reality, of course, it’s much less likely that Trump had the plane on his mind after a night of gaming, and that this was instead just a slip of the tongue. It appears the President conflated the number of F-35 planes Norway has ordered—52—with the jets’ “F” designation, coming up with F-52.

While Donald Trump might not be a fan, it seems his counterpart at the meeting enjoys some casual gaming. Just before her meeting with the US President, Solberg was photographed playing Pokémon Go on her phone, though she claimed she was using it to chat with her family.

Permalink to story.

2. TopTop18

TopTop18 TS Enthusiast Posts: 28   +7

Look, I'm not a fan of Trump, and it's great to make fun of his mistakes, but I feel like it's better to actually call him out on the stupid stuff he does, instead of starting to nitpick small mistakes.

Of course he meant the B-52, and this wasn't even mentioned in this article. Let's try not to spread fake information and joke articles without the actual information included.

Impudicus, MoeJoe, ghostf1re and 3 others like this.
  3. TechnoSapien

TechnoSapien TS Member

I'm sure Barack Hussein Obama would say that such presidential gaffes are embarrassing to all "sixty(60) states" of the US... Well, maybe not. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNor1ZZQGz8)

4. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 1,663   +1,126

It's always the same guy writing articles about Trump. Can you get off his **** already? I'm not a fan of him either but seriously...

MoeJoe, Kenrick, Jamlad and 2 others like this.
  5. yRaz

yRaz Nigerian Prince Posts: 2,646   +1,869

This is a tech website not a politics website, I come here to get away from this garbage. Stop it, seriously. Unless politics has something directly related to this crap, stop posting it.

Fabio Turati, MoeJoe, psycros and 9 others like this.
  6. Fobus

Fobus TS Booster Posts: 96   +61

You're the one spreading false information! Norway did not order B-52. Like this article, and many other said, Norway ordered up to 52 F-35 jets, with 40 committed. It's not nitpicky small mistake... Your president might very well have Alzheimers...

7. CBTex

CBTex TS Booster Posts: 42   +68

Ugh, why has ALL media devolved into the gotcha news cycle. Trump says F-52, Obama says Navy "corpse"man. Come on. Start evaluating people on their merits instead of stupid sound bites.

This kind of coverage, and the state of Facebook and Twitter, is why we end up extreme candidates. Heaven forbid someone ever be nuanced. Apparently, respecting an opposing view without demagoguery is forbidden in our society.

If you are a liberal and someone doesn't agree with you, they must be a fascist climate change denier. If you are conservative and someone doesn't agree with you, they must be an America hating communist.

/end of rant

8. senketsu

senketsu TS Guru Posts: 812   +543

Norwegian Prime Minister “caught” playing Pokémon GO
    priceless

Reehahs likes this.
  9. SamuraiSamson

SamuraiSamson TS Booster Posts: 50   +33

Rob, you heard the trumpets. When you call out the semi-literate ***** on his ignorance, their precious fee-fees get hurt. SAD!!

10. yRaz

this is "techspot" not "trumpspot".

11. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 8,533   +555

We all know trump has no brains.

12. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 3,081   +1,361

I know Trump-bashing is like the media's national pastime... but this is a tech website. What does this have to do with anything tech?

People mix up things all the time every day.... remember when Obama couldn't find the door back into the white house and tried to open a large glass window? No? that's cause it's not news!!!

Yesterday Diane Feinstein released some documents regarding the Russian investigation that she wasn't supposed to. Reason she gave was that she had a 'bad cold' and it affected her decision-making. That's actually relevant and IS news. No story on that though - not when we can call Trump names for swapping 2 numbers in a statement.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  13. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,063   +1,538

COD: Advanced Warfare

Did he do it every time? If so, then it would be news, and I would have had serious concerns about his fitness for the presidency - even though I voted for him - twice!

"W" used to get called out often because he was famous for constantly botching usage of the English Language. I would imagine that Trump and W are not the only presidents to get called out for looking like buffoons!

Charles Olson and TempleOrion like this.
  14. yRaz

While I agree, this is a tech news website not a politics website and this kind of news, no matter how rediculois, has no place on this website

SikSlayer likes this.
  15. wiyosaya

I get what you are saying, I do, and I agree, and I think that is part of the reason that there is so much division in the US right now. There are some people who cannot speak without denigrating others, however, I would argue that the problem lies within the people who speak that way.

The Wall Street Journal does commend Trump at times, but, at least as I see it, there is so little that he has done that is truly good, truly seeks to unite all Americans, and truly is aimed at Making America Great Again that there would be almost no news about him without stories like these.

Charles Olson and SikSlayer like this.
  16. wiyosaya

Well, we do not have a say in what the site publishes - unless we want to stop coming here.

However, I could argue that it does have something to do with politics because the policies of Trump's administration affect tech and affect the entire world, for that matter. There may yet be some people on the fence about Trump.

While yes, I am very biased against Trump, I think it pertinent to educate some on exactly the nature of the person who is leading our country right now. I am sure some are not going to get it about him no matter how many times these kinds of articles appear. However, just like I said about Obama missing his back door, if I were viewing this without my bias, I just might start thinking, is this the kind of person we want leading our country?

That said, I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he fumbled his words and accidentally inserted the F before the 52 - since I highly doubt that he plays COD.

Charles Olson and TempleOrion like this.
  17. yRaz

As I said earlier, unless politics has something directly to do with tech the politics have no business on this site. This is techspot not trumpspot

18. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 1,663   +1,126

Then I guess everything counts as tech news. Some guy was recorded jerking off in public = tech news cause there was a phone involved, right? These "news" are utter ****, not even interesting and the only reason you like it is because you hate your president for whatever reason. Surely, this time, Trump will be impeached because of this!!!!!

senketsu and psycros like this.
  19. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 10,764   +4,577

Now playing "COD: Advanced Warfare" people will get aggravated and resort to calling each other "Trump". And say things like "OK Donald don't you have a petition or repeal to sign?"

Charles Olson likes this.
  20. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Evangelist Posts: 870   +393

As soon as this site turns into another far left anti-trump site, hasta la vista. Please don't turn into a trash site.

psycros likes this.
  21. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 10,764   +4,577

Too late - reading all the comments above - we are already there.

Charles Olson and psycros like this.
  22. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 4,410   +2,872

I learned a long time ago that those that call themselves a genius rarely are, and their supporters that call them a genius never are. The true genius show it through their deeds, not just their words. He may be the smartest man on the planet, but he simply does not show it and in the realm of world leaders, showing is everything. It's very sad to say and even sadder to think about it, but if ever there was a leader that could inspire a coupe, Trump is that man

wiyosaya and TempleOrion like this.
  23. TempleOrion

TempleOrion TS Enthusiast Posts: 29   +20

All the crying Trump worshippers will now leave this site! Hurrah! The place will smell better for sure...

24. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 13,917   +3,294

Since when? :confused:

wiyosaya likes this.
  25. yRaz

Since we gave them the funds to change from "3dspotlight" to "techspot". Banking details go both ways!

psycros likes this.