Don't touch your face! This vibrating wristband helps keep hands away

midian182

Staff member
In context: We know that washing our hands is key to preventing the spread of the coronavirus, and so is not touching your face. To help with the latter, a company has developed a wristband that vibrates when a wearer’s hand goes near their mouth, nose, or eyes.

A startup called Slightly Robot had spent three years creating a wristband designed to address trichotillomania—a disorder in which people are compelled to pull out their hair. It was also created to help other obsessive-compulsive behaviors, such as fingernail biting.

Following the coronavirus outbreak, the band has been redesigned as Immutouch. It features a gravimeter, and after being calibrated with a smartphone, vibrates when your hand comes close to contacting your face. It even has an app that tracks how often you touch the areas.

“A problem the size of COVID-19 requires everyone to do their part, large or small,” said Slightly Robot co-founder Matthew Toles. “The three of us happened to be uniquely well equipped to tackle this one task and felt it was our duty to at least try.”

Another co-founder, Justin Ith, said: “My father has an autoimmune disease that requires him to take immunosuppressant medication. Being in his late 60’s with a compromised immune system, I’m trying my best to keep the communities around him and my family clean and safe.”

Remembering to keep our hands away from our face can be difficult; we often find ourselves touching our nose or mouth without even realizing it. Warning devices have proved effective in helping to treat trichotillomania, so Immutouch could be a great way of reminding you to keep your hands down.

Immutouch wristbands are available now for $50. To show it isn’t exploiting people’s fears of the virus, as many have done, the company breaks down the material and assembly costs on its website.

Image credit: CGN089 via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

If you get to the point that you need to buy a device- probably made in the same country as the viral outbreak- just to avoid touching your own face...it’s pretty much GAME OVER.

Furthermore: why is there no “app for that” for your exiting smart watch? ?

During the times when Amazon, eBay and others are overwhelmed with over 90% of virus-related products being a complete scam and rip-off, you publish one here.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Either do an objective research, and do not do promotion for scam artists who profiteer from the epidemy.

"Pandemic" - looking at the numbers currently available, it appears to me that 1/2 of the world population could get this virus in the next 12-18 months - and it will take a vaccine to change this in a meaningful way. Most cases will be mild, especially among the young. Elder folks and immuno-compromised will bear the worst. Mortality rates will be significant (1%-3% vs influenza at 0.1%).

This device could contribute to holding off an infection of an individual - and with a vaccine being developed and available, it could contribute to preventing an infection - so it might be an important step for some folks to take.

Or you could go out to W....mart, S...m's C...b, C....co, or elsewhere and buy a dozen pairs of vinyl and cloth mechanic's gloves, about 9 bucks US. I prefer the red ones. Out, in and moving around, it's very difficult to touch anything in your vision area without noting the bright red and rubbing your eyes is pretty much out of the question with the vinyl. A single pair lasts about a month. I use 3 different pairs with alcohol sterilization requiring drying.

If you're big into phone typing in the field, they're slightly bulky but not unuseable.

They're easily as washable as your hands and I've found, with it getting to be tree breeding season, easily removeable without touching the vinyl when you have to suddenly scrape pollen off your eyelids because the wind gusted your way.

on the downside, 1 year olds with new teeth perpetually believe in their colorful edibility, but then, they knaw watches too.

Another co-founder, Justin Ith, said: “My father has an autoimmune disease that requires him to take immunosuppressant medication. Being in his late 60’s with a compromised immune system, I’m trying my best to keep the communities around him and my family clean and safe.”

Nice to see intelligent people coming up with simple solutions. Maybe one day people will start cleaning door knobs. You can have what 500 people go in and out of a busy gas station a day. All touching the same little door press. Which is never cleaned.

Take a sink handle, you touch it before you wash your hands and after you wash your hands... Did you wash raw chicken off your hands and then touch the same handle to turn off the water lol. Even gloves, you have to touch the outside of a pair of gloves to put them on.... At least some restaurants now have foot activated\motion sensor sinks.

I try to use my elbow on sink handles\public doors...

Last edited:
Back