doom 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we won't argue on this one (even although it would be fun and would bring us closer together.... ;) )

I am very much looking forward to DOOM III and have been for a very long time. I've tried to give anything I could find out with it worth reading attention on the front page.

The trailer from the official site is just wonderfiul and some of the (hhehehe Hmm...) demos out there were very interesting indeed.

yes, let's not

best buy gives me the details in my pre-order account. since they're already getting sloshed over it, and have even sponsored a huge multiplayer tournament to showcase it, what the heck, it's gotta be close. so much for the we'll wait for half life 2 to launch theory. this baby's gonna hatch. perfect timing for the next gen cards currently being released.

Many places will start distributing (against id's wishes) on the 3rd.

It's been a long time since I really felt like playing a FPS from begining to end, Far Cry was the game that pushed me to the genre again and I'm now playing it all over in 'Realistic' difficulty (and believe me it's not often I do that!), so my expectations are quite high for Doom III as well as HL2, must get a new videocard as well ;).

Originally posted by Julio
must get a new videocard as well ;).

Well I'm sure you could have a good chance of winning any future TechSpot competition *ahem* ;)

I'm looking forward to this too. Still.. I hope HL2 doesn't fall into obscurity due to its later than late release :(

BTW - I hope you guys pre-ordered your copy already. I prepaid my copy along with a copy of Fable for the XBox. If it sells anything like UT2K4 did (I'm sure it'll be worse) then you better get to the shops now!

There's rumours running rampant on some other forums that Doom III is already out, at some Best Buy stores and a few others. Also, word is, that all Best Buy stores have been instructed to pull it, immediately. They can put it back out on Tue.

Anybody here lucky enough to get a copy already? If you really want one bad enough, look here. You might want to bid on this copy, it's certainly at a good price.

Edit: When I posted this, the bid was over $1,000,000. I guess we all know that was a fake bid. It's back to $100 as I'm writing this.

Edit again: Back up to $10,000,000, then back to $100. More fake bids than real. I can't imagine why anyone would bid on this in the first place, when you can go and buy one in the stores before you would get this shipped to you, at whatever price. I think people will buy anythng on E-Bay.

Okay guys - I've officially been spooked. The game got me to actually quit without saving :) Here are some screenies!

Doom30044.jpg

Doom30045.jpg

Doom30046.jpg

It's just that damn good.

Holy F'ing wow.

I finally got around to playing it (I got it a couple days ago but haven't found the time) and my god. I only played it for an hour (because it's 2AM and I'm tired, even if being tired amplifies the scare factor) but it's easily my favorite game I've ever played. Not to mention the one with the best graphics, immersiveness, and the most downright scary one. I was freaked out just by the first combat sequence. I nearly jumped out of my chair when the thing exploded out from under the stairs (don't worry, because even though you now know this part, you'll NEVER see it coming while playing). Ahh. I'm still shaking. On the scary scale, Doom 3 is to games as The Shining was for movies. And yes, that also means that John Carmack is to games as Stanley Kubrick is to movies :eek:

This is the real deal folks. The game is as close to perfect as any game has come yet. I'm not a big fan of FPSs, they always seem like they're too fast paced and I'm never entertained by them. Seems like they rely more on hand-eye coordination above all else. And it's the opposite with strategy games, I don't want to think so much when playing. Doom 3 IMHO is an even balance between these, you do have to think sometimes, but it's not a shooting spree ala Serious Sam. Not since Deus Ex have I actually enjoyed an FPS like this. And the bar for FPS games, or even video games in general? LOL. Let's see someone other than iD software clear it this time. Half-Life 2? It's possible, but I don't see it happening.

And the immersiveness. It's partly because the graphics are so nice, but it's mostly because it's fairly believable even though it's set in the future, everything fits together and is seamless, there are no chinks in the armor. I was only playing at 1024x768 on High Detail (It reccomended 800x600 at Medium Detail for my machine :confused:, and even that ran fine - I'll probably try Ultra High) but it doesn't even matter, I didn't even notice because I was too wrapped up in the game. You could play this game at 640x480 at Low Detail (which the uberlow min specs can handle fine) and it still wouldn't matter, the game is like that. The game scared me even though I knew it was gonna be scary and was prepared for it.

People, invest in a large monitor, a nice chair and a comfortable set of headphones (since there's no real need to upgrade your machine). Dim the lights, take a deep breath, and get ready for the ride of your life. Screw rollercoasters, Doom 3 is all you need man.

I have some pretty awesome screenshots but it looks like Papa beat me to it. Yours don't even do it justice - are you on Medium Detail? If you're at 1280x960 on Medium (and it won't run well at high), I would say bump it to 1024 and High/Ultra High. The textures look decent but it's blocky - the top of that guys head looks like an octagon :confused:

But, seriously, it's like you're the lead role in a (good) zombie thriller. If it weren't for being first person and the HUD stuff, I'd say this was Doom 3 The Movie. Watching someone play through would still be entertainng IMO. I'd go as far to say that you could make a nearly Pixaresque full feature film with the Doom 3 engine. It's just that damn good.

Anyway, I'm off for tonight. Tomorrow will be spent as a mix between installing my new speakers for my truck (I got a set of MB Quart Premium speakers in the mail today) and playing Doom 3.

And lol, the game is released Friday the 13th in Europe :stickout:

Yeah - I was still at medium detail when I took those screenshots - just didn't want to restart the game after switching detail settings. Next time I launch the game it will be at high. I am having issues with sound, but it's not the game's fault - it's my cable :( I am trying to fix that today but I've only got 2.1 going atm so I have to get that cable fixed!

Aw man people.......PLEASE don't do this to me.....I can't afford to buy another game right now (not to mention the fallout from wifey). I've got my voucher for HL2 and am holding out but jeez, those screenies look good....even though that genre is not my norm. :eek:

So what are the chances BB has a copy laying around for me to snarf up on my way home? Vehementi's got me so hyped, if they had a 6800gt laying around Id grab that too and damn the Visa bill, Id be stuffing it into my sff case come hell or high water.

Also Veh, excellent choice in speakers- sounds like you have a fun weekend ahead of you.

I picked up Doom 3 from Best Buy yesterday. I played last night until I passed out.
I now have the 6800 GT so I was playing at 1280 x 1024 Ultra Settings with 2x AA on. Do NOT be afraid of Ultra...there are not many instances where the game pauses/hiccups/whatever....so it's totally playable....IF u have a card with 256MB, that is.
It is truly incredible. I played through the beginning like 3 times just to experience the total chaos that breaks out. BREATHTAKING.
I have been walking around all day saying "Dooooooooooom" to everyone I meet...I am complete wound up in this game....god oh god why am I still at work
get the game.....get it now....

Did a little tweaking of my DoomConfig.cfg file and my .pak4 files and now I'm running it at 1280 on Ultra. And I thought it couldn't be better :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back