Doom Eternal is selling like hotcakes, surpassing its predecessor

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: The coronavirus response has many people on lockdown, but digital sales are booming, at least for Bethesda's Doom Eternal. The game surpassed the publisher's expectations and is currently the top-selling game on Steam. That's impressive and telling, especially considering the game accidentally shipped with a DRM-free executable that made pirates' jobs much easier.

After being released a day early in places like GameStop, Doom Eternal's PC version recorded over 100,000 concurrent Doom Slayers on Steam over the weekend, which is over three times more than its 2016 predecessor ever achieved. This contributed towards Steam's new record of 22 million concurrent players on Monday.

What's even more interesting is that Doom Eternal managed to earn Bethesda double the revenue compared to Doom 2016 for the same time period, and has been a best-seller on Steam for the last few days.

Bethesda has a true winner here, despite accidentally releasing the game on Steam with an additional, DRM-free executable that is every pirate's dream. The Bethesda.net version didn't have this problem, but the point is that people are willing to pay for Doom Eternal, especially with all the positive reviews out there.

Steam players overwhelmingly love the game, with over 90 percent of positive reviews of the 25,000 posted so far. PC Gamer describes it as a "ceaseless, panicked nightmare that pushes you to point and click with more skill and style than ever before."

Ron Seger, senior vice president of global sales at Bethesda Softworks, noted that "Despite thousands of retail stores closing, we are pleased so many fans have been able to enjoy DOOM Eternal. [...] We want to thank our millions of fans for their enthusiastic support of this amazing title."

It's also worth noting that you don't need the absolute best hardware to run this title at 1080p, and you can see that in our extensive PC graphics benchmark. Even 4K is manageable with 6GB video cards, and that's an impressive result given the excellent visuals the game offers.

Permalink to story.

Bethesda has a true winner here, despite accidentally releasing the game on Steam with an additional, DRM-free executable that would be every pirate's dream. The Bethesda.net version didn't have this problem, but the point is that people are willing to pay for Doom Eternal, especially with all the positive reviews out there.
This shows even though it's easily obtainable through piracy people are willing to pay for a game if it's good. I don't think the current situation with the virus has much to do with the numbers as there are hundreds of games to play yet people chose this one.

This shows even though it's easily obtainable through piracy people are willing to pay for a game if it's good. I don't think the current situation with the virus has much to do with the numbers as there are hundreds of games to play yet people chose this one.

And it‘s also a loot box / paid item unlock free game, correct ?

I don't think the current situation with the virus has much to do with the numbers as there are hundreds of games to play yet people chose this one.
I could not disagree more.
You have world....not a nation...not a country, but a world told to stay indoors.
An article on Techspot recently showed Steams concurrent users have hit an all time high due to COVID-19, or something to that effect.
Everything online, from Netflix, to Disney+, even the Vudu renting application, all the way to games, from smartphones, consoles, to PC's, has vastly increased.

Well, the game is good.
But..Bro heard you want jump puzzles in your Doom game!
Honestly the game is good, but
-graphically speaking it's a downgrade in visuals there is more to graphics than just resolution and texture res.
- they botched HDR it's terrible
- jump puzzles in a Doom game..less Rage 2 more Demon killing.
-botched lore and story from the first game like wtf is going on.
- immersion well hope you didn't want it secrets are market with a giant bright yellow ?, And items are absolutely in you face a ***** couldn't miss them.
- combat =Rage 2 the game no one played giving players ridiculous amounts of useless crap to use all while turning enemies into bullet sponges so what should kill them is less effective.

Doom2016 was just amazing like Shadow Warrior2016 then these developers just tried to reinvent a wheel for absolutely no reason other than trying to 1up a game catering to hipsters so hung up on nostalgia.

Don't get me wrong it's a good game but compared to Doom 2016 it's a major departure and downgrade like Doom 3 it doesn't know what it wants to be.

Well, the game is good.
But..Bro heard you want jump puzzles in your Doom game!
Honestly the game is good, but
-graphically speaking it's a downgrade in visuals there is more to graphics than just resolution and texture res.
- they botched HDR it's terrible
- jump puzzles in a Doom game..less Rage 2 more Demon killing.
-botched lore and story from the first game like wtf is going on.
- immersion well hope you didn't want it secrets are market with a giant bright yellow ?, And items are absolutely in you face a ***** couldn't miss them.
- combat =Rage 2 the game no one played giving players ridiculous amounts of useless crap to use all while turning enemies into bullet sponges so what should kill them is less effective.

Doom2016 was just amazing like Shadow Warrior2016 then these developers just tried to reinvent a wheel for absolutely no reason other than trying to 1up a game catering to hipsters so hung up on nostalgia.

Don't get me wrong it's a good game but compared to Doom 2016 it's a major departure and downgrade like Doom 3 it doesn't know what it wants to be.
Shadow Warrior2016 is/was garbage

Ever here of multiplayer? ?

I really dislike games where you pay full price and have to pay extra to unlock heroes, weapons, maps...

If it‘s a free game charging for additional content is OK for me, especially if it‘s done like e.g. Fortnite where it does not buy you an advantage. But full price games - for me a big „No no“ unless it‘s for add-ons.

I could not disagree more.
You have world....not a nation...not a country, but a world told to stay indoors.
An article on Techspot recently showed Steams concurrent users have hit an all time high due to COVID-19, or something to that effect.
Everything online, from Netflix, to Disney+, even the Vudu renting application, all the way to games, from smartphones, consoles, to PC's, has vastly increased.
But Steam is free and on it there are many games, same with Netflix. It's like apples and oranges. Keep in mind I don't think that virus has absolutely nothing to do with it, I just don't think it would change the outcome. Doom Eternal is a better version of Doom and it's gotta show.

I remember shadow warrior 2013 was good.
Makes me laugh that it was that long ago. I am glad you liked it. I did not and think many of the positive reviews were a response to the negativity surrounding the original SW which made me laugh with it's humor. Some thought it was racist and base. It was neither but even then safe spaces were blossoming. Who wanta some Wang? Classic !

Back