Download: Minecraft 1.5 Redstone Update is out now

Erik

Staff member

If you are one of the millions of people playing Minecraft, you'll be glad to know the Redstone Update has been officially released today. The brick universe created by Notch Persson is ever evolving and now includes various new items like hoppers, droppers, trapped chests, quartz blocks, and nether bricks. Although these new items add some more diversity, it's the activators and action options which really caught our attention. There's a light sensor if one wants objects activated during the day or night, pressure plates, and activation rails for TNT.

The appearance of the pixelated world has been improved with new texture packs that allow animated surfaces, and the interface for managing inventory has been improved with several of options like the ability to drag-place items over slots. There is also more lighting options, better death messages and an improved AI.

The new version is ready for all platforms including Windows, Mac, Linux and the Raspberry Pi. Just head to our download section for the download links and complete release notes. For a more visual summary of the changes brought by this update you might want to check out the video below.

Permalink to story.

I'm actually going to buy Minecraft and play it for the first time. Is there anything that I should know about the game or downloads any mods or texture packs?

I'm actually going to buy Minecraft and play it for the first time. Is there anything that I should know about the game or downloads any mods or texture packs?
I like R3D Craft Texture Pack, and use Optifine to get higher performance.

No need for mods or texture packs if it's your first time. Be sure to check out http://www.MinecraftWiki.net for help. Good luck.
I like R3D Craft Texture Pack, and use Optifine to get higher performance.

Thx for the help guys

Do note Optifine is still being bug tested, for 1.5 and things need to be ironed out. So it will likely change, as they work on bug fixes and compatibility.

Oh man. Every news about MC makes me cry a little on the inside. I'm an early beta adopter and the amount of time sunk into this with friends while on Skype... late nights.. just one more block... project due next morning... :'(

With every update there are fewer original multiplayer bukkit Minecraft worlds. When Mojang releases the official API for Minecraft there may be no more bukkit at all. That will be sad because websites like byteus which have maintained the same world since alpha will no longer be able to update. Oh well, I guess.

I wish I could go to sleep and wake up 5 years from now ...just to see what Minecraft would look like 5 years from now.

With every update there are fewer original multiplayer bukkit Minecraft worlds. When Mojang releases the official API for Minecraft there may be no more bukkit at all. That will be sad because websites like byteus which have maintained the same world since alpha will no longer be able to update. Oh well, I guess.

But hopefully when there is no more Bukkit we will no longer have to wait a week or more for an updated version so we can update servers. As a moderator on a nice server it bugs me to have to make my players wait a week before they can update their clients because I'm waiting on Bukkit to update.

Dont need to pay for it just give your email address and you can download the client and play offline. After you run the app for the first time when asked for login id just put anything and when it says login failed just click play offline, hey presto you can play to your heart content and even host LAN games too

Enjoy

Back