Download Windows 8.1 Preview: Start button returns, boot to desktop, better search and more

Rick

Staff

Microsoft launched today its first ever public release of Windows 8.1, confirming what we already thought we knew: the return of the Start button (although the Start menu remains absent), the ability to boot directly to the desktop, better search and lots of Metro / Modern UI enhancements throughout.

Bleeding-edge users can download Windows 8.1 Preview now, but it's only available via an .msu package which invokes the actual install from the Windows Store. Be prepared to wait a bit: at about 2.5GB, it's a hefty download. ISOs are expected to be released soon, but aren't yet available. We'll have the links posted as soon as they are, though.

Update: ISO files are now live. Download Windows 8.1 Preview here.

The preview includes a myriad of improvements and enhancements, namely a far more configurable Metro Start Screen, better system search, the inclusion of a Start button, IE11, Direct X 11.2, as well as numerous tweaks to Windows' core apps and various Modern UI elements.

Along for the ride are a number of lesser-known enhancements though, like deeper SkyDrive integration, an easily-personalized lock screen, the ability to answer Skype calls without unlocking your device and access to Control Panel's configuration options while in Metro. A lot of app improvements have been made too, including side-by-side app viewing, app updates finally becoming automatic and the lifting of Microsoft's "five device" installation limit.

As with any beta software, there are potential risks involved. Windows RT users, for example, won't be able to use System Restore while running the 8.1 preview. According to Microsoft though, Windows 8.1 Preview Release users will be able to upgrade to the final retail version when it arrives. Before you install it though, you may want to check out Microsoft's Windows 8.1 Preview FAQ and back up your personal files... just in case something goes awry.

The expected arrival date for the final, retail version remains unknown. However, the most recent rumor indicates it could arrive as early as August 1st, or more cleverly put: 8/1. Earlier rumors though suggested an October-ish launch.

Permalink to story.

I work with Windows 8 and IE 10 everyday in my job (tools exclusively work in IE) and just can't get used to it after a month of forced use; I have tried it since the DP for almost a year in total (DP, CP, retail) to no avail; just got mad when I saw that good third-party applications were charging for bringing back the Windows elements that are truly productive -all these transitions, animations, and gestures are all just a waste of time, a delay to do something in a series of basic keyboard steps.

I work with Windows 8 and IE 10 everyday in my job (tools exclusively work in IE) and just can't get used to it after a month of forced use; I have tried it since the DP for almost a year in total (DP, CP, retail) to no avail; just got mad when I saw that good third-party applications were charging for bringing back the Windows elements that are truly productive -all these transitions, animations, and gestures are all just a waste of time, a delay to do something in a series of basic keyboard steps.

I like Windows 8 quite a lot and enjoy using it, but I agree that the transitions take too long.

but I agree that the transitions take too long.
Thats really not surprising. You can transition people into just about anything. But to try and force a change over night (especially a drastic one), really is not transitioning them at all. The lack of transitioning within the UI, has been the greatest disappointment of all.

Thats really not surprising. You can transition people into just about anything. But to try and force a change over night (especially a drastic one), really is not transitioning them at all. The lack of transitioning within the UI, has been the greatest disappointment of all.

I just meant the animation transitions that occur when going from place to place in Windows 8. You're right though, that Microsoft's biggest issue is simply that they didn't make the transition from what everyone was used to to the "new" way more seamless.

They brought back the Start button but it changes nothing since there is no start menu. It is a nice upgrade from Windows 8 but not from Windows 7. IMO don't buy Windows 8, don't upgrade to 8.1 = save money = MS will be forced to give us back the start menu. You did it with Xbox One so it's possible.

They brought back the Start button but it changes nothing since there is no start menu. It is a nice upgrade from Windows 8 but not from Windows 7. IMO don't buy Windows 8, don't upgrade to 8.1 = save money = MS will be forced to give us back the start menu. You did it with Xbox One so it's possible.

Eh, I don't want the start menu, so I'll keep using Win8 ;)

Wow, they added a button but not a menu. Does microsoft really suck that much at listening? For a company that only cares about the $$$$$, you'd think they'd listen in this case.

Eh, I don't want the start menu, so I'll keep using Win8 ;)
I've always voted for both, but then we all know what MS answer to that was. MS didn't want to burden us with the prospect of choices. The arrogance of MS thinking they are the only ones capable of making decisions is astonishing. You are insulting you own intelligence by further supporting Microsoft.

Most of the video they hide the cursor, like to make us think it is a tablet or a touch screen. Whoever is trying in MS to force us into their damn tablet SO through our destop SO can go to hell.

What is a tablet interface doing in a damn computer?

I reckon owners of GTX Titans don't wanna know the answer to that question.

Well, I'm not one of them, I'm one who's been ogling GTX 780, and now having second thoughts because of the news. I thought of starting to buy parts for my new rig for this fall when Windows 8.1 is released, but who would want to pocket out $650 for a card that won't support the latest DirectX. Doesn't sound that exciting anymore.

But then there is another thing, there is no information on the web whatsoever about DirectX 11.2, not even rumors, makes it all even more unexpected a news...

Note update only available us English at the moment it wont work if your in the uk or Ireland and also due to high demand there server has crashed
I would wait a few days for iso files to become available and also UK and Ireland language version become available so you can use windows store to update as at the moment only English version available is for usa only

"The preview includes a myriad of improvements and enhancements"

That's like saying:

"The preview includes a many of improvements and enhancements"

Anyway, I'm looking forward to 8.1.

So far from the preview, it looks like it has potential, but right now it is having some performance issues. It also took it upon itself to reorganize/rename some things, and it deactivated and disable AVG (for Windows Defender). The search function also doesn't work as well as it should. I think I'll give it a few days and reinstall plain Windows 8 if it doesn't improve. I'm sure the minor issues will be worked out by the official release, but for now I'll be happy with a stable Windows 8.0 :)

But then there is another thing, there is no information on the web whatsoever about DirectX 11.2, not even rumors, makes it all even more unexpected a news...
Except this part of the web presumably (Edit: ninja'ed by JC713 :) )
I'm one who's been ogling GTX 780, and now having second thoughts because of the news. I thought of starting to buy parts for my new rig for this fall when Windows 8.1 is released, but who would want to pocket out $650 for a card that won't support the latest DirectX. Doesn't sound that exciting anymore.
Now? The GTX 780 doesn't support the full DX11.1 specification...
TitanFeatureLevel.png

Bear in mind that the features that aren't supported are mainly Direct2D orientated (16xMSAA and Target-Independent rasterization support in 2D applications) not Direct3D.
I wouldn't be overly worried that it doesn't fully support the feature levels of 11_1 and 11_2. D3DX 11.1 was introduced ten months ago. Number of games using (let alone requiring) 11.1....Nil.

Of course, as a marketing tool it is bound to fire up a new round of graphics card purchases for those with a need for speed bullet points

Back