Downloaded applications

I have several large application files in my computer's download menu. The programs/application names don't appear on my list of programs when I check my control panel. Can such programs be deleted? Or are those programs working their magic somehow while remaining out of the context of my computers programs menu? Example: Bluetooth_Broadcom(BT2.1)_6.2.0.9400_Win7x86x64. 56.655 MB.

Need a screenshot of what you are talking about, also show the download folder from the browser menu.
Chrome & Fire Fox press ctrl - j

Here's the screen shot of my download folder. You'll also see other downloaded files that I probably never use...or at least don't KNOW if I'm using them. Lots of potentially wasted space and memory. Are these kinds of programs essential or are they just stuff that has accumulated over the years?

upload_2017-12-7_11-7-46.png

Bluetooth_Broadcom(BT2.1)_6.2.0.9400_Win7x86x64 :: that's a system driver for bluetooth

Lots of things will appear in Downloads, but they do not become part of your Installed Software inventory (aka \Programs...) until you install them. BTW: drivers don't show-up even when you do. You can delete anything you like in \Users\yourLogin\Downloads or c:\Downloads

Thanks!!! So what I'm to understand is that just because it's in "Downloads", doesn't mean I have them INSTALLED. Hence if not installed they're just taking up space? Are any of such programs appearing as a Downloaded file a driver file that I shouldn't delete?

The question is, DO you need the BT update? If so, install it first.

I'm not really sure if I can even use it since my laptop uses Windows 8 and this app is for Windows 7 or Vista, 2 rather old OS's. Do I need it?

You shouldn't need them if you have your laptop chipset driver and the original bluetooth drivers installed from manufacturer.
Do me a favor, if you have antivirus software, right click that .zip file click scan with your antivirus.
Tell me what happens if it finds anything or not, just want to make sure its not a malicious file that drop out of nowhere from some website.

How would I know? I'm pretty limited in my knowledge of what's working for me and what's working against me. I ran the antivirus on the BT driver and there were no virus's detected. Thanks for that idea!

Back