Dropbox: Recent downtime caused by routine maintenance error, not hackers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Cloud storage provider Dropbox went offline for several hours on Friday. Those claiming to be members of the loose knit hacking collective Anonymous were quick to claim responsibility for the downtime but Dropbox officials have since confirmed that a routine maintenance task gone wrong, not a hacking attempt, was to blame.

Service was restored a few hours later but the proverbial damage was already done. A group known as AnonOpsKorea, a Korean branch of Anonymous, claimed one of their affiliates hacked the service to avenge the death of Aaron Swartz. If you recall, Swartz committed suicide last year as he was facing federal charges for hacking into MIT’s network.

dropbox site maintenance error hackers anonymous hacking maintenance

The hacker, going by the Twitter handle 1775Sec, claimed to have compromised the service and threatened to publically share stolen data if Dropbox didn’t fix the vulnerability used to gain entry. Shortly after, the hacker posted a link to data that was allegedly stolen from Dropbox although the company pointed out that the information in the dump was posted a month prior and wasn’t from them.

In a statement issued to the New York Times, a spokesperson for Dropbox said the outage was indeed caused by internal maintenance and not an external factor. In regard to claims of leaked user information, the spokesperson said it was little more than a hoax. The company echoed these same sentiments on their official Twitter page that same day.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, they can say it's maintenance error just to cover up their insecure system.

The cloud provider is becoming more and more vulnerable by the minute. As they continue with marketing hypes and announce a new "business direction" -- all while they are moving to new offices, trying to raise more money, AND filling for an IPO.
They themselves use AWS Infrastructure, so how can they expect to stand on their own two feet in the enterprise world (which includes Amazon as a competitor).
Needless to say I am not optimistic with where companies like Dropbox and Box are going with their over-zeal and basic technologies. I'll stick with DriveHQ if I need anything more than a single synced folder.

Back