Drunk man accidentally hails $1,600 Uber from West Virginia to New Jersey

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Most of us have done our fair share of stupid things while drunk. For one New Jersey native, a blunder while under the influence turned into a costly mistake.

Following a recent night of drinking with friends, Kenny Bachman hailed an Uber to take him back to where he was staying near the campus of West Virginia University. The next thing he remembers is waking up in the passenger seat of a minivan being driven by someone he didn’t know

The stranger, of course, was the Uber driver who was taking Bachman home… not to where he was staying near the school but his actual home more than 300 miles away in Gloucester County, New Jersey.

Further complicating matters was the fact that Bachman accidentally ordered an UberXL, an upper-tier (more expensive) option that can accommodate up to six riders. Worse yet, the ride was booked while surge pricing was in effect which nearly doubled the fare. In total, the trip cost him $1,635.93.

Bachman said he realized the mix-up about two hours into the trip when he woke up but at that point, his options were limited so he decided to stick it out. He disputed the charge but as Uber noted, the ride did indeed occur and the driver took him to the destination requested so there wasn’t much they could do.

Bachman claims he never submitted his home address for the ride. “Obviously I sent the Uber, I don't know where to, I know I wouldn't send it to my house, I knew where I was," Bachman said. He claims the Uber driver had his phone when he woke up and even answered a FaceTime call from a friend while he was asleep. “He was on my phone, without me allowing it.”

Considering his alcohol-induced selective memory, however, that defense doesn’t hold a ton of merit.

If nothing else, Bachman should be applauded for not getting behind the wheel while intoxicated. Bravo.

Permalink to story.

And I thought I made bad decisions while drinking.....

Last edited:
The cheaper uber service would probably have cost him more and I don't mean money.

Most of us have done our fair share of stupid things while looking for an article on Techspot, finding out that we clicked on Shawns...

Most of us have done our fair share of stupid things while looking for an article on Techspot, finding out that we clicked on Shawns...
Perhaps so, but the article was free. Now, you possibly would have a gripe if you paid to read it. If you paid $1,600.00 to read it, you might have cause of action

But since everybody new here seems to think Shawn's articles are, "click bait" anyway, unless this was your first one, you have nobody to blame but yourself.:D

Next time he needs to take along a designated drinker so he can keep things straight! LOL

Seems to me that the common sense of the Uber driver should have kicked in since it would likely have cost less to fly. Perhaps the Uber driver was desperate for a windfall paycheck.

Seems to me that the common sense of the Uber driver should have kicked in since it would likely have cost less to fly. Perhaps the Uber driver was desperate for a windfall paycheck.
I don’t fly commercial any more. So this isn’t something I’d refuse. Actually given the location, let me play devil’s advocate here. Long rides are not unheard of.
My longest cab ride (pre Uber days) was 18 hours. I’ve heard of longer ones. Given they’re in the belt on this article; I could see an aid or page or something hailing a ride that long as quite possible.
Doubt I’d let a drunk in my back seat though. Cabs at least have some ability for getting cleaning done at low or no cost.

Back