DSL Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys, i have a few questions.

ok, it seem that my dsl isp wont allow other people to initiate connections with me or something. I cant host ANYTHING. I cant host a server with rogerwilco, i cant send stuff through mirc using dcc. i cant host a webserver with apache. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? anything i should enable/disable?

thanks in advance for your help.

Do you have a router in between your dsl modem and your computer? If you do that is probably your problem since routers block the ports that others use to connect to you. I'm sure there are ways to open those ports, but it all depends on what type of router you have.

If you have an evil ISP that blocks ports:
- You can check if all ports are blocked, sometimes more common ones are open
- You can give the ISP a call and request for opening of ports
- You can change the service or ISP

If you have a router/firewall between your comp and modem you need to change the configuration for the device, the keywords are "Virtual Server" "Port Forwarding" "Bridging" "Relay". Note: the router/firewall may be built into the modem, check the documentation.

If you are running a software firewall, just open the ports you need.

PS
To check whether ports are blocked on your computer, use a port mapping program on your own machine.

um... well.. im gonna check if a firewall is in my dsl modem. neg, i dont have a router between them both. if it turns out it doesnt have afirewall in my modem, ill call my evil isp to request that they unblock. ill update you guys later to see if you guys can help me some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back