Dual 56K Modems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beef_jerky4104

So for Thanksgiving I'm going over to my dad's girlfriends house. I have no problem with this except that she only has dial-up. The good part is that she has two phone lines. I heard somewhere that it is possible to put to 56K modems in your PC and then dial on both lines to get what 112Kbps? Well I went ahead and put another 56K modem in my PC. However I'm not sure if this is possible, if you could please inform me thanks.

Judging by your reference to thanksgiving you are in the US. For what it is worth you cannot do this in the UK unless you have two paired lines and a modem to handle them as a pair.

the short answer is NO, just like having two NIC card connections will not
give you 2x the bandwidth either.

the issue is creating a connection on BOTH interfaces and then routing the
traffic -- this is not possible w/o ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) software.

FWIW, I'm fairly certain a coworker of mine said "back in the day" he had dual dial-up lines connected in tandem for faster rates. I think it was called a multi-link or something. I'm not sure if it required special isp support or additional software.

one COULD create an application (for both ends) that might try something similar,
but would never have the 50/50 balance for the data flow that ATM would achieve.

hey, it's all water over the dam now -- who would buy an 8086 today?

I just wish that she would get some freaking (A)DSL or Cable modem out there or something...

After all she's been wanting to get it for 3 years.

I understand completely. I had to wait a long while too for cable, as DSL would
not work due to the distance to the Telco. switch.

IF Intnet is important (or could be) to her, look into Satalite or Cellular access
eg: AT&T Net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back