Dual boot using external HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop is currentlly running Win2000. I want to set up a dual boot system with Win98 on an external HD (Maxtor 5000LE, though USB 2.0). How would I go about doing this?

Step-by-step advice would be much appreciated!

You'll need to look in your bios to see if it supports booting to usb device. If it does, then simply select usb as the first boot device, and install windows 98 as normal. Note that I haven't tried this myself, and I am not aware of anyone that has tried booting to usb - your bios might not even support this option. Have Fun.

PS: Its 01:00 am over here now, so hopefully someone else can provide further advice as I am now heading of for some sleep. :)

Before I forget, there might be one further problem that you may run into, and that is that windows may simply refuse to install to a usb device, even assuming that you can boot to one.

Something to bear in mind is that usb devices are by their very nature removable, therefore any OS that is installed to such a device would need to be able to reconfigure itself to virtually any hardware to which it was attached, therfore I suspect that it will not be possible to install any windows OS on such a device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back