Dual boot WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

xempler

Can someone tell me if it's possible to partition your drive (C: and D:) and install Win XP on both partitions and keep them completely separate?

The reason being is that my son likes to use Kaaza and other Peer-to-peer programs and downloads all kinds of crap lol and I'm afraid if he might download a virus, trojan horse, etc. one day. However, I want to keep my half of the drive clean since I use the internet mostly for banking and other buisness related stuff.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Nice idea, your a smart cookie :D

Download Partition Magic/Buy Partition Magic, and resize your current partition, then you'd want to make a new one.

Then you set your first priority in the BIOS to boot from cdrom, you enter setup, and tell it to install WinXP on the second empty parition. It'll install, once complete, you'll reboot, and you'll come to a screen with two "Windows XP Home Edition" (or professional) options, each leading to a version of WinXP on a different partition :)

So in conclusion the answer is yes - you can do this just as agissi described. I would name your WinXP boot menu accordingly in your boot.ini also. I have two seperate WinXP partitions on a machine - one is just for using Wise Package Studio and the other for when I'm using the machine for everything else.

Yes and you could set passwords on the protected install so that no one tries to use it for playing. Every now and again you can blow away (reinstall) the play partition, whilst retaining the work partition which will be unspoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back