Dual monitors from on board chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to build a new system and I'm trying to keep in really compact, but I also want to rock dual monitors. Are there any onboard video chipsets on the market now that will support dual monitors?

Thanks!!

Repent...., and Prepare For the Future.....

Not sure really, but depending on the level of graphics performance you are expecting any Nvidia x300, x400, or x500 would provide dual monitor capability at low cost, (50 bucks or so, if you catch a good sale), while leaving you with a much greater selection with respect to choice of motherboard/ chipset combinations. I believe that all Nvidia 8500GT/9500GT video cards have HDCP compatibility so that you could easily drive your high-def TV from them. Either of these cards could most likely be used with a good 350 watt PSU, so there's no need to overbuild/overspend at this level. Avoid the overclocked versions of these cards, they use a bit more power, and it makes more sense to jump to the 9600GT series instead of trying wring more performance out of the lower series of cards

If cost is a factor I suggest purchasing a mobo board with onboard graphics, then adding the video card later. Here again though, spring for the right PSU that will allow you to grow your system. You you don't want to have to buy the PSU twice, if you change your mind about the level of upgrade you'd like to make.

You could investigate this post at Tom's hardware; http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-780g-chipset,1785-5.html It seems to answer your original question.

I'm only looking to do basic office type work on it, not any gaming or anything. I just need to be able to use the Office suite, internet, youtube and facebook. You know, all the necessary stuff for work.

vwdevotee,
did you check out captaincranky's Tom's Hardware link. The low profile HD video card might be good for your proposed setup

Any dual head video card will work, you don't even need to spend $50. But I think you do need to buy a video card with 2 outputs (not counting RCA or S-Vid), since onboard won't get you dual monitors, and buying a card with 1 out and trying to run onboard and the add on isn't ideal.

Did anybody check out my link? I punched up a couple of I780 boards at Newegg and neither of them had the dual head onboard graphics that Tom's article describes. In fact, Newegg did not list any boards by Gigabyte with the 780 chipset.

I am somewhat knowledgable with respect to cheap video cards, at least Nvidia's cheapies. (Dubious distinction, I know). I have a Biostar 8500GT, which only has one digital and one VGA output. and a 9500GT by EVGA. this card has two digital outputs, and I consider it a better buy for that reason, since you should also be able to drive two HDMI outputs via adapter should you choose to do so. Anyway it was $65.00 (I think) but with a $30.00 MIR and free shipping. This was a Black Friday hijacking of Newegg by me, it doesn't quite represent the day to day price of this particular card. This is the current deal; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130383 Opinions may vary, but this seemed like an all around good deal when I grabbed it.

With respect to the ATI mobos with onboard dual head graphics, this chipset seems to be fairly high end and you could probably hook up a P45 chipset board and a decent video card at somewhere near the same price a the board by itself.

No, I wholeheartedly agree with you that a quite worthwhile, serviceable video card could be obtained in the price range you mention. In fact I installed a 7200GS in a computer I gave my son, and it soldiers on admirably, in the capacity you outline. He and his new bride use the machine to download free viruses from face book, but that certainly is not the fault or the responsibility of the video card

I only mention the mid range 9500GT cards due to the dual digital outputs, DX-10 (for possible use with Vista), and HDCP so that the computer could be equipped with a Blu-Ray drive and successfully used as a home theater server. And granted, the desktop may never find itself in that capacity.

Yes, certainly a 9500 is more bang for the buck. Certainly the performance to price ratio is better with a more modern budget card, but sometimes you don't need the 'bang'.

I checked out the link, but I found it more useful to read a lot of motherboard manuals. It turns out that, after using Neweggs power search to limit the boards to microATX and supporting the ram I need, The Intel G45 chipset pretty much universally supports dual monitors. After reading the manuals for about 10 mobos, they usually will support monitors on the VGA channel as well as the DVI/HDMI channel.

That's one that Intel sort of sneaked by us. Many of us have been building with the P45 chipset version, the Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3 series inparticular. I know that Intel has been working hard to be taken seriously in the graphics arena. Does Intel's GMA software allow the display flexibility that ATI or Nvidia's control center would? I love little the gimmicks like different wallpapers for each screen.

I gotta say here though, I'm not on board with the 2 different type outputs. I have several reasons why I think that Dual DVI is the way to go.Two identical monitors could be driven simultaneously with a high likelyhood of color consistency. (I like to do image editing). A digital output can be adapted to HDMI for home theater use. And last but not least, The large 30" monitors require both DVI to be used in support the extermely high resolution.

OK, granted I may not ever have a grand or so to plunk down on a 30" monitor, by my buying philosophy still, I think, is sound. Don't close doors that you really don't know if you want to go through yet. And don't make it necessary to re-buy things you already have. After all the manufacturers try their best to make you do just that, no sense in playing directly into their hands.

I can see where you're coming from, but like I said, I'm only interested in doing office type work on it. Although, I didn't pigeon hole myself with the motherboard I ended up getting; it still has a PCIexpress x16, so if I decide the picture looks iffy I can still pick up a dedicated dual DVI graphics card and be no worse for the wear. If they weren't close to a grand I think I would probably just go the 30inch monitor route also andwash my hands of double monitors.

I checked out the link, but I found it more useful to read a lot of motherboard manuals. It turns out that, after using Neweggs power search to limit the boards to microATX and supporting the ram I need, The Intel G45 chipset pretty much universally supports dual monitors. After reading the manuals for about 10 mobos, they usually will support monitors on the VGA channel as well as the DVI/HDMI channel.
I admit my first reply wasn't really a reply to your question, it was more of a reply to inform you you didn't need to spend very much money to get a card to do what you need.

I 'forgot' that you had asked about buying a motherboard that supported it. But then again, maybe I just overlooked that because I figured that if you saw one with multiple outputs (not counting RCA or S-Vid) that you knew it would drive 2 monitors...

Does Intel's GMA software allow the display flexibility that ATI or Nvidia's control center would? I love little the gimmicks like different wallpapers for each screen.
I highly doubt you can run 2 different wallpapers, I don't even think you can do that with nvidia cards... I would be extremely surprised though if you could not run 2 monitors at different resolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back