Dual SATA #2

My WD Raptor SATA HD stopped booting to XP. So I installed a new WD Caviar SE SATA 300, Formatted XP on it. I am trying to retrieve some files from the old drive by dragging them to the new one. But whenever I have them both installed my pc keeps trying to boot from the Raptor.

I have the new drive hooked up to the SATA #1 port, and the Raptor to SATA #2. I can not find anything in the BIOS to Designate a specific HD to boot from. Any Ideas?

What motherboard do you have? Often when you select the hard drive as a boot device in the BIOS, you can further select which hard drive to boot first when there are more than one. If I know what motherboard maybe I can check the manual. The boot order is not determined by which SATA port the device is connected to but, rather, the device itself.

Look on page 4-37 of the motherboard manual. Under "Hard Disk Drives" see if you can select the proper hard drive as the first priority.

I really appreciate the help. I have been to the screen that you directed me to. But the menu does not offer the options shown in the manual. Could I maybe not have the correct Bios loaded? If not I am totally lost in the upgrading of Bios department. I will look further in to it and let you know how I make out. Again tyvm for your time. People like me need people like you...lol

It might be simpler to remove the Raptor and put it into a USB enclosure or a USB docking station like this one: Thermaltake or the similar Rosewill. Once your PC boots from the WD Caviar drive you can plug in the USB docking station with the Raptor in it and try to retrieve your data.

It appears that I will have to use usb docking. It says and shows in the manual that I can specify a master HD. But when I choose a HD in the menu, nothing that I press (enter....) will do any thing but make the listing blink. Thank you again for the help.

Back