Dualcore noob question

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1n9k00p4

Im a dual core newb, so Pretty simple question, basically what i want to know is: on Dual core processors is the clock speed the TOTAL between both processors, or is the total clock speed split in half between processors.

for example,

if i had a dualcore 2.8ghz CPU

would it be 2.8ghz for each processor

or would each processor be 1.4ghz?

I hope ive put the question forward clearley,

Thanks guys

first of all, we're talking about dual CORES. The thing you seem to mention is dual processors. (dual core=2 cores on the same processor)But I assume you mean the speed per core. As far as I know, if a dual core processor has 2mb cache, 1mb goes to each core. Also, if a dual core processor has 2,8 Ghz, this 'speed' is shared between the cores. Which basically means it's split.
I have to admit I'm not an expert on dual cores, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, basically Exonimus is correct but the cache sometimes is different. In most cases the Intel Core2Duo has 2 or 4MB SHARED cache. The AMD Athlon X2 have seperate cache, and it will be shown as 2 x (whatever the cache is).

The processor runs at a set frequency of whatever GHz, you don't double frequencies to get a new one. Both run at the rated frequency.

Look at comparisons between dual processor systems and dual core systems. They are virtually identical. This would be impossible if each core ran at half speed.

AMD announced that the new Barcelona chip would be able to run cores at different clock speeds to save power. The maximum speed for every core is still the sama as for the whole CPU of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back