DVD burner read problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimboy

Guys I need help, I am having problems with my DVD writer, it's so slow when it comes to reading CDs and DVDs. Ths is my second drive in less than a month, the first one also had the same problems. When I insert a mildly scratched CD or DVD into the drive, the autoplay thingie comes up, I can browse through the CD with no problem but when I try opening a sinlge file on the CD Windows goes kaput and hangs until I open the drive. At this point the "Windows=No Disk" thingie appears. Checking event viewer there are numerous errors and warnings about event ID's 51, 7 and 11all from the cdrom. The drive in question is a Samsung SH-S202J whose FW version is SBO2(upgraded from SB01 with no success). Unscratched media are just a walk in the park, no problems with them. What pisses me off is the media that won't open on my PC open on another PC with a DVD ROM drive with no brand name, which one sould be stronger? A ROM or a RAM drive? I read somewhere that enabling DMA for the DVD could improve perfomance, but how do I do this? In device manager it reports:
Device 0(know it's the hard disk,C)
Transfer Mode==DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode==Ultra DMA Mode 0

Devie 1(tis the DVD drive,D)
Transfer Mode==DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode==PIO Mode
I've even tweaked with the BIOS and set transfer mode for the dvd to be UDMA, Enhanced DMA but device manager still reports that it's on PIO. My motherboard doesn't seem to support both PIO Mode 4 or UDMA 4, will flashing the BIOS make it support them? My PC's really ol' ol' skul(know most of you will laugh at my contraption that I call fast.) Laugh your heads out at the specs:

OS==Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version==5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Manufacturer==Compaq
System Model==EVO D500
System Type==X86-based PC
Processor ==x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~1993 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date==Compaq 686Y2 v2.11, 2/27/2002
SMBIOS Version==2.3
Time Zone==E. Africa Standard Time
Total Physical Memory==640.50 MB SDRAM
Display==NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420(it's absolute crap but still managed to finish NFS Most Wanted on it, both Career and Challenge series)
Sound==Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller
HDD==WDC WD200BB
CD ROM==TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202J.

Now folks what can I do?

When I insert a mildly scratched CD or DVD into the drive
It's probably not the best of tests

Basically you should only test with original CDs (or DVDs)
If they work, the drive is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back