DVD Burner Takes FOREVER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedcera

I just got a Sony DVD burner. It is 16x and is also capable of burning Dual Layer.

I have also installed DVD Shrink to backup my DVDs.

It takes me 1hr 30min, minimum, to backup the DVD and another 40min+ to burn the DVD.

WHY??

My computer is only running a 733mhz with 384mb RAM, but still, this should not be.

A friend has a 3.6Ghz pc with 1gb RAM and he is experiencing the same problems, but with another burner.

Has anyone else experience this problem before? Do you know what was wrong?

I don't think it's the drive because it reads and write just fine, it just takes a while.

Let me know.

Ted
http://thenutthouse.net

Possibly because DMA is disabled on the drive?

You can check that from Device Manager,

in Win9x/ME it's under the DVD drive properties,

in Win2k/XP/2003 it's under the IDE controller properties.

DMA = Direct Memory Access, as the name says, devices can access memory directly, without having to use the CPU.

PIO = Programmed I/O (input/output), again as the name might reveal, CPU has to be programmed to handle input and output (and thus the slower CPU, the more it will slow down).

my settings can only be set to dma if available. sometimes i burn in 15 minutes, sometimes almost and hour. i figure it just has to do with the size. i have a gig of ram 2.6 ghz proc. plenty of resources.

now since ive posted to this message, my dvds are taking longer to burn. like 2 hours. thats what i get.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back