DVD/CD not recognizing anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys and gals!

Well i got a tough one for you guys and I hope that you are up for the challenge. Here is the situation.

A few months ago my DVD burner was working perfectly fine. Something happened not sure as to what since I don't use them that much. I was unable to burn or play DVD's but i could play and burn audio CD's. I then proceeded to use this program that comes with the HP called either PC tune up and repair or PC Doctor. The program made me run some tests on the DVD burner which told me it was a faulty drive.

I then went out and bought a new burner. I put it in and now i'm getting the same results. When ever i try to burn somthing I get the "please insert blank disc" which i've tried many different dvd-r's and brands. also, when i installed the new burner i can't use my other cdrom as well.. the cdrom is doing the same thing.

In windows explore it recognizes the drive, but when a CD is inserted nothing comes up. It shows the drive as blank. I went into device manager and it said that they were working properly.

Also, I was using Nero and Ashampoo as my software. i deleted the DVD rom from my device manager and restarted which didn't work. I uninstalled and reinstalled my burning software. I did the whole upper and lower registry thing as well. Any idea what this could be? could it be bad cable? Thanks

Pooter: HP pavillion a620n
DVD burner: Samsung SH-S202J

Possibly. Also a loose connection, screwed drivers either for chipset or something else, bad interaction with burners, viruses, bad media, etc.

It is a tough call.

Start with a reinstall of the system.

yeah I was afraid of that. It's funny because the first time i noticed it i was going to create a back up disk haha.. Go me right? Hey thanks for all your help!

I think it may still be related to a driver.

You were on right track but suggest you determine and look at the upper and lower filter drivers involved and their version numbers
- Each upper filters can filter/modify request data on its way to the media driver
- Each lower filter can filter/modify the response data returned by the media driver

Click here to install/run Filter Driver Load Order
- Select your CD/DVD device, click Clipboard and paste the result

----------------------------------------------------
Filter Driver Load Order

Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM
Upper Device Filter: redbook
Device Object: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202J
Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20
Lower Device Filter: imapi

Driver Name: gearaspiwdm.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: CD DVD Filter
File Version: 2.00.07.05 [2.0.7.5]
Product Name: CD DVD Filter
Product Version: 2.00.07.05 [2.0.7.5]
Company Name: GEAR Software Inc.

Driver Name: redbook.sys
File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) [5.1.2600.2180]
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180 [5.1.2600.2180]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Driver Name: pxhelp20.sys
File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
File Version: 3.00.56a [3.0.56.0]
Product Name: PxHelp20
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions

Driver Name: imapi.sys
File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) [5.1.2600.2180]
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180 [5.1.2600.2180]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Well i got a tough one for you guys
Yes, this one is tough!

On quick glance, the upper / lower filters / versions seem OK.

Do you have the install media for your recorder software? You might also try uninstall both Nero and AShampoo.
Check their websites for any special info to assure they're fully un-installed (sometimes they indicate special things to check for or utilities to run when their uninstall software may leave things behind)​

Then check things out as you then reinstall

DVD drive not reading DVD's

I have a similar problem. I can read and write CD's. I can write DVD's. But I cannot read DVD's. My drive won't read bought movies and program install DVD's or DVD's I have just written. These DVD's do work on another machine.

Windows XP Media
HP Pavilion a1524n
HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H20L

I just noticed the problem about a week ago. Have you found a solution? Has there been some WinXP update that created the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back