DVD/CD-RW problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjo13

I installed a DVD rom in my Dell Dimension 3000 in the 2nd bay. I have a CD burner in bay one. (It works fine). The 2nd drive (DVD) works fine except it gargles when you play a dvd or music cd through it and with music it seems to run too slow. So I switched jumpers making the DVD the Master and the CDRW the slave. Now the DVD plays fine and the CDRW gargles and sounds too slow with music. Whats wrong? Either one works fine if its the only drive. In other words the D: drive is fine, whcihever one is the E: drive its messed up.??????

Strange!!!!

Try using a New or different IDE Lead

if its still the same
Put one of the CD / DVD drives on power lead on its own and share the other one with your hdd.

It sounds like the IDe channel the drives are on, the secondary position has been downlngraded to PIO from DMA2. you can check in device manager under "IDE ATA|ATAPI Controllers". if this is the case then uninstall the IDE channel and reboot. Windows will reinstall the IDE channe and drives when it restarts. and the Drive should be operating in DMA2.

well................

>>>>>>>It sounds like the IDe channel the drives are on, the secondary position has been downlngraded to PIO from DMA2. you can check in device manager under "IDE ATA|ATAPI Controllers". if this is the case then uninstall the IDE channel and reboot. Windows will reinstall the IDE channe and drives when it restarts. and the Drive should be operating in DMA2.<<<<<<<<

I did that and when it reinstalled, it said "PIO Only" I changed it to say "DMA if available" but current transfer mode is "PIO mode" and wont change. Auto detect can not be selected.

Windows downgrades a drive to PIO when it detects a problem with the drive. apparently your problem is with ANY drive in the secondary position on the IDE cable.

is this cable the one that came with the dell or did it come with the drive? Dell computers normallyuse cable select jumper settings on drives and therefore the master\slave is set by the position of the drive on the cable. might be orth yur while to set the drives to cable selct and see if that solves the problem.

EDIT: it may also be worth trying another cable as it may be the cable your using that is defective.

??

Changed em it still does it. Doesnt matter what I do it always comes up gargled on the 2nd drive whichever drive I use.
Any other suggestions?

Did you try a different cable? if it si not the calbe causing the problem then about the only thing left would be the controller itself.

I tried several different cables. I dont know if any of them are actually dell. I'll have to see if I can get one from somewhere because its about the only option left. the 1st drive works fine, which ever one it is. The other 2nd drive just wont cut it and still runs gargled. So for the time being I guess I can use the dvd for dvds and music, and just record on the 2nd one (Its the burner now) It records fine. I tried it earlier.

What brand of DVD rom is it? it is always possible that there is a compaitability problem with the chipset the DVD rom uses. but that is pretty rare these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back