DVD drive no work. Would a "Hijack This" deletion prevent these fixes from working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neil_ski

Hi,
I replied to the posting below but am not sure if I'll get replies. So I'm creating a new post. I hope that's OK. I followed the instructions from LookinAround (https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic137666.html) but it did not help.

The thread-- https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic27616-2.html#post840867

My computer- Windows Vista Home, Toshiba Satellite

The Problem-
So I noticed that my DVD drive wasn't working or "reacting" when I put any type of disc into it. I first noticed this a few months ago.

What I tried-
-deleting the filter drivers
-uninstalling the driver for the DVD drive in the Device Manager (Which said it's working properly?)
-using the Microsoft Automated "Fix it" feature
-and even installing a new trial version of Win DVD. (Then uninstalled/reinstalled it)

But no improvements after restart.

Over time, I have deleted various items after doing Hijack This scans. IF I stupidly deleted anything related to the DVD drive, would they have reloaded after restart? Or are they gone for good?

I want to use my recovery discs (because it's time to clean things up), but I can't if the DVD drive doesn't work.

Please help. I've tried some things but haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks
Neil

AND...
Just went back into the registry editor...
I don't see Upper and Lower filter listed anymore.
I don't see any .bat files either.

Here's what it says-

NAME TYPE DATA
(Default) REG_SZ Computer
Class REG_SZ Computer
Class Desc REG_SZ @%SystemRoot%\System32\SysClass.dll,-3000
Icon Path REG_MULTI_SZ %SystemRoot%\System32\setupapi.dll,-27
Installer32 REG_SZ SysClass.dll,ComputerClassInstaller
NoInstallClass REG_SZ 1

I sense that this is bad. Please help a sad soul.

Anyone?? Please??

Anyone???

In the device manager, the location is listed as "0" (Location 0 (Channel 1, Target 0, Lun 0). That does not sound right.

More info- HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4042n ATA Device

Please help! I'm tempted to replace the drive but this info makes me think something else is the problem.

You could try borrowing an external DVD drive, and using that to boot your recovery discs.

This is based on being able to access the BIOS, and having "boot from USB" device enabled.

If you have already deleted the filters in the registry, then it follows that the thread about filters no longer seems to apply

The DVD drive could be bad. Personally I've had no luck with TSST drives. Others feel differently.

If you have a restore point available that you can connect with the DVD drive being operable, I suppose that's worth a shot.

If you have removed any programs that had burning rights attached, that can sometimes render the drives invisible to Windows.

That's all I got ATM.

Yes, I believe you would be included in the view count. No need to apologize though, unless you've viewed the thread somewhere in the upper 40s count.

Out of the blue, games can cause dvd drives to malfunction. Also, my Toshiba laptop won't recognize dvd-r disks--acting like a dvd-r disk wasn't even inserted--only dvd+r disks. I thinks it's a Matsushita drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back