DVD drive will not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnyirl

I put this PC together a good while ago now and I have two optical drives in it, a brand new NEC DVD±RW burner AD-7173 IDE and a DVD/CD-RW which i pulled from my last system.

Today being the first time i even used the new drive I have noticed its not working. It will not see any CD or DVD i put into it nor will it allow me to burn anything.

The drive was set as a secondary master on the same cable as my other drive (mobo only got 1 IDE slot) So i set the new drive to master and removed the other drive just to be sure it isn't a connection problem.
This is really driving me up the wall, it should work everything says it is working but it just will not see a blank disk to write to. And just in case you are wondering the drive supports DVD+R and theses are the disks I am using.

I even tried to flash the firmwire and but that failed which is making me think there is something major wrong.

I had a similar problem a while a go. Turned out to be a registry error.

Follow the instructions here

Hope this helps :)

It didn't work :( know anything else that might?

Are you sure it was the same problem, I have been getting no error messages at all. When i try to open the drive with a disk in it explorer freezes

Try removing the IDE/ATA drivers - all of them... and restart your computer... if it's still not working, you may need to recheck those connections and make sure everythings connected right.

Ok atlease now it has stoped telling me there is no disk when there is but it still doesnt work. I put a disk with info on it in and nothing comes up, it can tell how big the cd is but thats it.

Going to try all this once more and see if that works

Then it maybe some other conflicting software... I find 90% of the time, if removing upper and lower filters as well as removing the drivers does nothing, I tend to book in a computer for repair so I'm out of ideas.

I'm returning the drive, it could possibly be that the drive is faulty. Before i go through the pain of returning it i might try and install it into another computer. If it works in another computer ill go insane because i have tried everything short of reinstalling windows.

a full remaster might do the trick... thats possibly the last thing before returning it or someone on here having a better suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back