DVD drive won't read discs - no dvd drive reads disks in my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, this is a very odd thing happening to me - which I'll probably solve by a fine reinstall (i mean replacing my C with a rescue image made by Drive Image XML) ...

I run XP SP2 - I have Nero 8 installed - but it works (not corrupted, I checked it by the Nero info tool)

so a new dvd drive (writer) just failed ... it stopped reading the disks (which disks? disks it used to read :))

I had some dvd burning to do so I took it out .. and replaced by another dvd drive - another writer ...

It did the burnings ... everything went okay ...
much later (like weeks) this burner stopped reading ... (when I needed it the most)

okay .. I go to the garage and get my old dvd rom drive ... back ...
I put it in .. system recognizes it.. installs ... it's ready to be used ...
but it won't read the disks ...

of course I changed the HDD cable .... nothing's changed ....

okay here comes the twist: I put this dvd drive into my friend's PC (same XP SP2) ..
and it works fine with the same disks ... so I had to copy the content on a pen drive to get it into my machine :)

I'm sure that not everybody had this before .. because if a drive fails like this we'd just think it's dead, right? Why would we give it this second chance .... and also now that everybody is running laptops it's not as easy to get another PC that you can climb into for testing ...

what do you think?

Peter

Remove Nero 8 completely. You don't need it... Update XP to SP3 and see if your DVD drive works again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back