DVD ROM and DVD ROM+-RW won't read DVD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Optiplex DIM4700, with Intel Pentium 4 3.20 GHz and 1.00 GB RAM. Recently my daughter managed to get a roag spyware program on the computer (even with an Antivirus/Spyware program already on the computer). It kept locking up the computer. I went into save mode and removed the program. But after, I had 2 "d" drives and 2 "e" drives (both by DVD Rom drives). They somehow got mirrored. I ran the repair from my Windows XP Home SP 2 disk. This removed the mirrors, but then my DVD Roms would not read dvd's. I unstalled the drivers and let windows reinstall them. Still won't work. I booted in safe mode and went to the cmd prompt and typed "dir d:" and then again with "dir e:" (my 2 drives) and both will read the dvd from there, but not in full windows mode. I can play and burn cd's just not dvd's any longer. It's my understanding that if the dvd's can be run from the cmd prompt in safe mode they are not bad. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated - I been fighting with this for several days. My DVD Roms: Samsung DVD ROM SD-616E and NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A.

The Dell Dimension 4700 came with five choices of optical drives... some were excellent... some were average, and some were miserably slow and often failed in less than 9 months.

It can be possible that your drive has failed. The Dell Dimension 4700 came out in 2005 and 2006. Maybe this is the time to replace it. $24 or less plus shipping from Newegg, Directron, ZipZoomFly, Fry's, TechSpot, PCMall, CDW, PCSolutions, and other such stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back