DVD-ROM drive not available in burn app under Win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

CirTap

Hi,

I recently plugged in a new LG DVD burner to a friend's PC running Win 2000/SP4.
Although the drive shows up in "My Computer" and is capable to read any media I put inside, CD/DVD-burning software refuses to show this drive as a "CD/DVD burner" device and only offers their "image writers" (e.g. Nero, Clone CD).
I tried Nero 5.5, Nero 6.0 Express, Clone-CD, and NTI DVD-whatever -- the DVD burner never showed up as a target. I also installed the Nero burn-rights tool for Nero 5.5, and logged in as Administrator with no success.
The drive's connected as slave to IDE-2, master is a vanilla CD-ROM.

As it's a pretty old box with an Athlon board/CPU, I thought there might be some BIOS issue?
Or does Win 2000 "in general" req. some additional drivers or such in order to burn DVDs, e.g. new[er] ASPI driver??

Any hints or tips?
t.i.a

Have fun,
CirTap

Try this...

I'm curious, did you install the drive with the drivers provided? If not, try that. If so, try performing a scan of the IDE bus. Some burning programs allow you to do this to find new drives. Also, try using the burning apps that came with the drive, if there were any.

Hope this helps! :grinthumb

El Presidente,
well, surprisingly there were no "drivers" on the CD that shipped with the drive, just the "DVD Movie Suite" (Nero, PowerDVD, PowerDirector and most important: Acrobat Reader 6 in a dozend languages <g>)
so the burning app that came with it was "Nero 6 Express". due to it's "user friendly interface" there weren't many places to check or scan for anything which is why I uninstalled this toy and tried the full v5.5 (incl. the latest patch and "cdrom.cfg" from Ahead) exactly for that reason: to scan for drives :)
It's been v5.5 which reported "no drives" except its image burner.
I talked to him yesterday and told him to bring this PC to my house where I have the ability to test the drive in other computers, or even replace it with the one I have; could be the hardware -- well, I "hope" it's the hardware, as I hate to find this kind of occult bugs.

Have fun,
CirTap

I would install the LG as the master on that machine.
Nero has a small app ' called" infotool" it will tell you if you need to install ASPI drivers. Check for Firmware updates at LG site.

Liquidlen,
thanks for this hint, I'll give it a try, although I do have a LG running as a slave on my machine, too and had no probs until. The drive's fairly new, so I don't think there'll be a firmware update, but I'll check it out if anything else fails (screwed up a Yamaha drive once with a fw upgrade :(
IIRC I tried the infotool before and it reported "using nero ASPI drivers".
Should I also install the Adaptec ASPI as well?

Seems like I need to switch a bunch of cables when my pal shows up :)
Thx so far, I'll come back if I had a chance to put my hands on this PC again ...

Have fun,
CirTap

The infotool has a drop down menu showing both System ASPI & Nero ASPi, both must be Green.
If system aspi is not installed you then install the Adaptec aspi layer.
When you flashfirmware make sure nothing else is running on your machine and don't touch anything including the mouse until the Flash shows Complete. Also I noticed your friend's machine is an older Box-Check the Minimum hardware requirements for Burning DVD under Nero ,I think it's pent IV 1.5 or better , for best results, he might be under spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back