DVI to TV with no PC input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skoberlink

I have a really nice LCD tv but it doesn't have pc input and I would like to use it as a monitor. I have DVI ports on my PC but no way to connect it to the TV. what's the best way to do this? I was thinking a dvi to composite converter but everything I've found is really expensive. I have extra pci ports if a card is needed and as far as I know, composite or component would be an option. S-video might be, I'm not sure (It's my college roommate's tv and I haven't seen it yet). any suggestions?

If it's a really nice LCD TV then it probably has HDMI inputs. Get yourself a DVI-to-HDMI cable.

If it's a modern LCD TV then it may have a HDMI connection which would only then require a DVI to Hdmi adapter, other wise S-Video would be the other way to go.

I think the answer is hdmi, I've never seen a 40" lcd tv that didn't have hdmi. You may have issues if you want sound to play from the tv though because typically hdmi carries audio too, but it won't coming from your video card (although I do think a few cards do this now.. so maybe you'll get lucky). On my 46" Bravia (and a Sharp I had before) there is an audio line in next to one of the hdmi ports, so look for that.

If for some reason you don't have hdmi, and your card has an s-video out I would get one of the s-video to component video adapters. I think the card will have the 7 pin s-video and the tv will have the standard 4. I could be wrong, but I think the 7 pin carries more information, but that gets 'discarded' when you plug it into the tv, but if you used the component video you'd get better quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back