DX10 and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimShady23

Is DX10 only going to be avaliable via Vista ? If so Why would microsoft not make it avaliable to XP users as DX9 was to 2000 and 98 ? I think game developers will be very reluctant to release any big titles if in DX10 if it is proprietary to a operating system that roughty 5% or less of the market is going to be using within the first 1-2 years after release.

Transition to a new OS takes time, years in some cases as it did from 2000 to XP.

Is DX10 just not capable of running in a XP envirorment ?

This is a tough pill to swallow but sadly DX10 will not be available to XP users and is the first of the DX series to not be backwards compatable with its previous releases meaning for those of us who get Vista we will have to rely on a DX9 emulator, incorporated into vista... yeah thanks microsh**e, to play our older games. Apparantly the way DX10 has been designed means it can only work in Vista due to changes in the kernel etc etc.

From the articles ive read games developers have been asking for these changes from DX9 and backwards compatability because DX10 will allow them to do there jobs much easier and give us gamers a higher quality of shaders etc.

I know Vista is going to be buggy for atleast the first year but thanks to DX10 and a series of DX10 Launch titles mainly Crysis and Age of Conan, the first adult mmo, Microcrap believe they can get us to switch quickly due to the fact these games will not be able to run on previous versions of windows...

Now if you think thats bad enough there is another painful sting in the tail that I have read about...

As most of us maybe aware there are going to be multiple versions of Vista released, Home basic being the cut down version designed for ancient computer systems and 3rd world countries.... right the way up to the ultimate edition which packs all and everything of the other versions.... the sting comes for us gamers.... as if certain websites are to be believed the ultimate edition is going to be the only version with support for gamers!!!

Meaning we shall have to shell out an obscene amount of money £250 - £350 or around the $400 - $500 dollar mark for you yanks

Only time will tell wether this information is correct but knowing microsoft they can do pretty much what the want having no real competition.

That goin to far, I aint not paying over $400 for any type of software even if it is an O.S, and I doubt many would buy it, 70% of people would problably have a pirated version like a lot had with XP.

Yeah it is going to far... I dont agree with pirated software but I know microsoft are going to lose all sorts of money due to over charging! :S

This is the first I've heard of DX9 being emulated in Vista. I assumed it would be backwards compatable with previous versions. I've played Serious Sam on DX9 XP and it is a DX 7 game, I don't believe there is any emulation going on, just backwards compatability.

As far as the versions of Vista, what they need to do is sell for $500 or less a non crippled OS (like maybe Ultimate edition without media center) that is lisenced for lets say up to 5 computers. That way someone like me that has 3 computers capable of running Vista can actually do so without selling a kidney.

Indeed however im sad to say that DX10 is not going to be backwards compatible if the websites previews and reviews of beta are infact telling the truth.... then again it could all be hype like trying to convince everyone you have to run a 64bit machine to run vista etc which is just not true!

I agree that the system is way overpriced, but gamers will NOT have to spend $400-500 us dollars. For a gamer, the only version you'll need it the Home Premium for around $249, but that's the full version and not the upgrade. Anyway, this version will have Windows Media Center built in, which in my case would be great since my daughter and I are networked and she has an XBox 360. I purchased a new copy of Windows Home XP (full version w/SP2) since support for SP1 died in October, and received a certificate to receive the Vista upgrade for $80. It's not available to to register for it until Dec 15th from Microsoft. With what I paid for the new XP install disk and the $80 for the full upgrade disk to Vista Home Premium, I'm still paying less than I would if I didn't purchase the extra XP disk and just waited to buy the version outright. I believe the upgrade is somewhere around $180. The higher versions are for business and have all the business bells and whistles.Unless you're a heavy business operator, a gamer won't need to get either of these two versions.

I hope your right my friend the last thing I wanna do is spend £400 on Vista just to be able to play games..... considering im gonna be spending just under £3000.00 on components for a new computer.

Vista Home Premium for $109.99, I'm still trying to find any catches with doing that.

What I'm considering is getting it and using XP Media Center on a computer I already have and then using Vista Home Premium as the OS on another, I know the VHP is an Upgrade, but with XP you can full install from an upgrade as long as you insert a disk with a previous OS that is upgradeable right? I know you could with 98 and ME at least.

Any reason that wouldn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back