E4400, P35, 2Gb, 8600Gt-plays UT GOTY slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fragrant Coit

I know it's an old game, but I love it.

I've tried turning off all Stepping in the BIOS, only associating the game with 1 core, put a cap on the Framerate {150} in the .ini, but it plays at about 1/5 of the speed it should.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Are there any patches that should be applied?

Did this game come out originally before Windows XP? If so, try changing the compatibility mode.

Open GL, with the UTGLR32 patch, but it does the same in D3d.

It plays oK on other core 2's I've built {mostly cheapies with VIA chipsets}, it's gotta be something peculiar to the P35 I'm thinking...

Might be RAM. One or both modules could be faulty. Could you try switching out the RAM modules with some known good RAM?

The RAM is OK, though I did try some DDR667 and it was the same.

UTk4 plays beautifully.

It's like the CPU has too much grunt and is freaking the game out.
Setting the affinity to 1 core only did make a marginal improvement. I know on Laptops you sometimes need to cap the Frame rate limit due to stepping, but in this instance, it made it worse - V Synch made no difference, adding - cpu speed = 2000 to the .exe didn't help....

Surely theres someone in a timewarp like me who still plays UT GOTY and has struck this? I've googled, but can't find a definitive fix - well, not one that works!

I've played it with my dual-core Opteron (~2.3 GHz) too, can't remember having that kind of problems. Maybe using /usepmtimer parameter in boot.ini would do something? I don't know if it helps with Intel CPUs.

My friend and I both got matching cpus (Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 2 GB ram, single nvidia 8800 GTX, ASUS M2N32-SLI premium Visat Edition MoBo, Windows XP) and he has UT GOTY and he has had a similiar problem...his either runs too slow or way to fast like 3x faster then normal...and on my computer i am having a similiar problem with Painkiller Special Edition it runs twice as fast as it should...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back