EA wants to 'break down' platform barriers, says it's open to bringing titles to the Epic...

Polycount

Staff
In context: With the recent news that EA would finally be bringing its games back to Steam after years of Origin exclusivity, many PC gamers were quite excited. Several also took the news as a jab at Epic, who has generated quite a bit of controversy in the PC gaming industry due to its tendency to snap up highly-anticipated games as timed exclusives.

However, it seems EA's decision to return to Steam was not intended as a way to give more ammo to anti-Epic folks. Indeed, though EA has not outright confirmed it, the company said it's "open to new partnerships" when asked if its EA Access program -- which is coming to Steam as well -- could arrive on the Epic Games Store someday.

From EA's perspective, there's probably not much benefit in playing favorites here. In an interview with Games Industry, EA said its primary goal is to become more "open" with the way it distributes its games. It wants to enable as many players as possible to enjoy its latest titles (and, of course, buy loot boxes), and the best way to do that is to take a platform-agnostic approach to sales.

Of course, sales and game access are two different things, and a much less-reported piece of information regarding EA's return to Steam relates to the latter. As some long-term Steam users will know, many publishers -- EA included -- still require gamers to install and use their third-party platforms (Origin, in this case) to play their games. This will be the case with Fallen Order, and many other EA games set to arrive on Valve's popular platform.

Naturally, there are still plenty of benefits to buying a game on Steam (such as achievements and friends list integration), but it's still worth pointing that detail out for those who are perhaps newer to PC gaming and Steam in particular.

At any rate, EA hopes to "break down" more barriers moving forward, and not just through bringing its games to multiple platforms. Cross-play is another big focus for the company, and with Sony finally beginning to cave on that front, we may finally see a future in which your platform of choice doesn't matter at all for matchmaking purposes.

Permalink to story.

"As some long-term Steam users will know, many publishers -- EA included -- still require gamers to install and use their third-party platforms (Origin, in this case) to play their games. This will be the case with Fallen Order, and many other EA games set to arrive on Valve's popular platform."

Honestly don't understand the hype, from the way I see it as long as Origin is still required, then this doesn't solve any problems at all.. ?

Honestly don't understand the hype, from the way I see it as long as Origin is still required, then this doesn't solve any problems at all.. ?
It SHOULD still be 1 less launcher to manage (post installation). The game will be with your other Steam games, and more easily playable with your Steam friends (well, MP games).

Either way it is currently a deal breaker for me. As I'm locked out of my Origin account with no real plans on getting that issue fixed. One game launcher should not be dependent on another launcher at all, period.

"As some long-term Steam users will know, many publishers -- EA included -- still require gamers to install and use their third-party platforms (Origin, in this case) to play their games. This will be the case with Fallen Order, and many other EA games set to arrive on Valve's popular platform."

It's been this way for years, for all platforms. Hell I remember when CoD didn't require Steam. Tons of players hated to install something that wasn't needed. Now Battle.net runs the game.

I miss the good old days of just installing a disc. Digital hasn't helped any, certainly not in price.

It will still be a Steam game with full Steam integration. I frankly don't know why they would require you to still run Origin unless its spying on users, in which case the hacking community will no doubt provide a solution.
It's required cause it's EA's game and want to show off their other games and content. It's their game n right to do so.
Spying, ok dial it down. If you are worried about anyone spying on you, then you are either a criminal or you are paranoid. Anyways, the world spies on us, if you don't like it, turn off your TV, smartphone, tablet, computer and don't use a credit card. Once you do all that, you can still be found. So good luck in your world.

Either way it is currently a deal breaker for me. As I'm locked out of my Origin account with no real plans on getting that issue fixed. One game launcher should not be dependent on another launcher at all, period.
Yes yes we all don't like having all these launchers but for now those days are gone. Move on or don't bother playing games.

As for Origin, that would be a you issue. I don't have any issues over Origin, never have. Used it since it was called EA downloader then EA Link.

As for Origin, that would be a you issue.
I have controlling email to password reset the account. Yet when I could login I didn't have control to make changes to the account for additional security measures. That is not a me issue. That is a broken system, repairing my account will not fix. The only me issue is not wanting to call them. When I know their system is broken. All this BS was easily preventable. I bet they don't even bother to reject out of region login attempts.

I've gone through this same thing with steam and was fixed good to go after email account verification/password reset.

"Naturally, there are still plenty of benefits to buying a game on Steam (such as achievements and friends list integration)"

Non-benefits.

That's because the move is not intended to solve the problems of the gamers. It's intended to solve the problems of EA's investors, whose overriding goal is: Fleece the gamers fast.

Back