Early SimCity adopters to receive free game for their troubles

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The SimCity fiasco is closing in on a full week now as the game has been plagued with server issues since the moment it became available. According to EA, they are doing everything possible to rectify the issue but if you’re the game’s publisher, you know by now that simply isn’t enough.

Maxis general manager Lucy Bradshaw recently said on a company blog post that the server issue has improved significantly but some users are still experiencing response and stability problems. The simple answer for what went wrong is that a lot more people logged on than anticipated. She said more people played in ways that were never seen during the beta.

give free game bought simcity ea simcity

To help make amends, Maxis is going to offer SimCity players a free PC game download from the EA portfolio. Bradshaw didn’t specifically say what game would be offered or if gamers would get to choose any title from EA’s catalog. Furthermore, we are told that on March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an e-mail telling them how to redeem their free game.

Pay close attention to the wording here as Maxis’ general manager didn’t specifically say that anyone who purchases and registers the game before March 18 will get a free game. In fact, no real stipulations were mentioned at all. For all we know, EA / Maxis could limit the free game offer to users that were affected by server problems within the first week. Or perhaps it’s just a poor choice of words and anyone that buys and registers SimCity before March 18 can get a free game.

Permalink to story.

So if I go get it now...I can get another free download? Did they do that for the Diablo players?

So, Go with SimCity or try out CitiesXL

I'm a bit confused on whether I should risk my limited money on SimCity

Thanks!

Thanks!

Server issues have been more or less smoothed out. Don't get me wrong, the launch was nothing short of a disaster, but things seem to be chugging along well enough now.

The game is quite good when the servers actually work, however it is not a game that you should play by yourself... which is completely contradictory to the entire series. The great parts of the game really shine through when you can get a few of your friends together to start a region. Also, if you're expecting the typical, "here is 3000 square acres of land, go nuts", then you're better off sticking with CitiesXL or an older SimCity. This new one is definitely geared more to the casual (and social) player with less time on his/her hands and a few friends.

I pre-ordered the game and am quite satisfied with it now that I can actually play it without the servers going down. The free game is just icing in the cake for me.

Thanks!

Server issues have been more or less smoothed out. Don't get me wrong, the launch was nothing short of a disaster, but things seem to be chugging along well enough now.

The game is quite good when the servers actually work, however it is not a game that you should play by yourself... which is completely contradictory to the entire series. The great parts of the game really shine through when you can get a few of your friends together to start a region. Also, if you're expecting the typical, "here is 3000 square acres of land, go nuts", then you're better off sticking with CitiesXL or an older SimCity. This new one is definitely geared more to the casual (and social) player with less time on his/her hands and a few friends.

I pre-ordered the game and am quite satisfied with it now that I can actually play it without the servers going down. The free game is just icing in the cake for me.

Thank you for your response.

It seems that SimCity is nothing like I thought it would be, or even should be.

Since I really have no on-line friends to play this with I'll take a pass and hope they do something for lone playing.

Thanks again!

@Mavrickx888

I am curious as to what is your opinion on the relatively small area to build your city in? I have read that quite a few people grumble about the fact that you cannot expand beyond the 2KM square grid.

Title is misleading; it implies they will get a free copy of Sim City. "A free game" would sound more like the situation at hand.

@Mavrickx888

I am curious as to what is your opinion on the relatively small area to build your city in? I have read that quite a few people grumble about the fact that you cannot expand beyond the 2KM square grid.

I actually don't mind it too much to be honest. I always felt like the super crazy expansive masses of land that the older SimCitys gave you were a bit overwhelming and hard to manage. The smaller land masses give you a taste of the origins of SimCity, without having to micromanage quite as much. It feels like a much more easy-going, laid back experience.

Check out this video which will help give you an idea of the scale you'll be working with:
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gnOKfhQCvM

Back