eBay chief steps down after four years at the helm

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? eBay on Wednesday announced that Devin Wenig would be stepping down as president and CEO. The company’s board of directors appointed Scott Schenkel as interim chief executive and will undergo a search to identify a permanent replacement, considering both internal and external candidates.

Wenig joined eBay as the leader of its global marketplaces business unit in late 2011. Under his watch, eBay’s active user count climbed from 99 million to nearly 160 million by focusing on mobile commerce.

When eBay spun off PayPal in 2015, Wenig was promoted to CEO to replace John Donahoe who transitioned to a board role.

No specific reason for Wenig’s departure was given. eBay simply said both Wenig and the board felt that a new CEO was best for the company at this time.

Scott Schenkel most recently served as eBay’s senior vice president and chief financial officer. He joined the online commerce pioneer in 2007 following a stint with GE and has held multiple positions over the years. He was promoted to CFO when Wenig got the call up to CEO.

Thomas Tierney, chairman of the eBay board, said they are confident that Schenkel’s experience positions him well to lead the company as they search for permanent leadership.

Masthead credit: eBay sign by JHVEPhoto

Permalink to story.

What ebay has done is crush the guys that made it and try to become a store

Yep. Year after year they stripped more and more fee discounts, power seller discounts, top rated discounts, ect. They allow chinese sellers to do what they want and they lowered seller protection. They also don't seem to negotiate any sort of deal when it comes to shipping prices. eBay sellers are paying 3-5 times as much as amazon sellers for shipping.

Sorry to say I was never a real fan of ebay because of the aforementioned issues and a general "hands off" approach that showed favoritism to the sellers rather than to the loyal buyers. The early issues with PayPal soured it for me and while I would love to use them over Amazon, it seems to be a choice of the least worst.

Yeah, it definitely feels like a store. The 'Buy it Now' option is a middle finger to the bidders.

What ebay has done is crush the guys that made it and try to become a store

Yep. Year after year they stripped more and more fee discounts, power seller discounts, top rated discounts, ect. They allow chinese sellers to do what they want and they lowered seller protection. They also don't seem to negotiate any sort of deal when it comes to shipping prices. eBay sellers are paying 3-5 times as much as amazon sellers for shipping.
I sold my old rigs mobo cpu gpu ram on ebay a month ago, the buyer paid for the shipping. I probably have like 40-50 ebay transactions dating back 10+ years. Mostly buying. Only had one purchase go awry. I got a UV light bulb instead of a blood pressure tester from china, $12 gone. I noticed a lot of people buy from china then resell the items in the USA for a markup. Pretty much what the USA has been doing in every store since ww2?

As for Amazon, about 30% of my purchases have not been what is shown in the photo. Maybe 15-20% of the stuff I've bought for under $15 ended up being unusable. Not worth the time and gas to return the item.

Buy it now has been around forever. I haven't used the bidding option in awhile. Sort by buy it now lowest price ftw. But bidding does sound fun.

Last edited:
Yeah, it definitely feels like a store. The 'Buy it Now' option is a middle finger to the bidders.

They buy it now option disappears after the first bid is made typically. It's not like people can come in and buy it out from under the bidders. It costs $0.50 cents to even add the buy it now option and not really worth it IMO. They only time it is worthwhile is if you have a hot item you know someone is willing to overpay on.

Ah I didn't k
They buy it now option disappears after the first bid is made typically. It's not like people can come in and buy it out from under the bidders. It costs $0.50 cents to even add the buy it now option and not really worth it IMO. They only time it is worthwhile is if you have a hot item you know someone is willing to overpay on.
Ah! I didn't know that!

Back