Elite Dangerous pilot spent a week outside the Milky Way before being rescued

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Elite Dangerous is the 2014 reboot of the 1984 space exploration game Elite. It is quite similar to EVE: Online in that players have a variety of things to do to occupy their time. Whether you like combat, mining, or flying passengers in a commercial spaceliner, ED has it covered.

One common occupation is that of explorer. The job description is simple: travel to far undiscovered star systems, collect data on the planets there, then sell the data for a profit. While it sounds simple enough, there is a lot more to it. It takes planning and research to ensure that the expedition is profitable and that you have enough gas to get back to port, or at least a star from which you can scoop fuel.

One explorer, Commander Persera just made history in a couple of ways as she explains in a lengthy forum post.

First, she set a record for traveling further from Sol than any other player. She flew so far that she actually went outside of the Milky Way galaxy and into the void. This is very dangerous and requires considerable planning since there are no stars for refueling in this blackest part of space. A pilot must make precise calculations before venturing out or else they will become stranded.

A miscalculation in fuel requirements for her Anaconda class ship is what happened to Persera. She flew out too far and didn't have the fuel to get back. The marooning led to another historic event in the game — the rescue.

There is a group of players in Elite Dangerous known as the Fuel Rats. The team has actually invented its own occupation of rescuing stranded pilots by bringing them fuel or repairing the damage that has rendered their ship inoperable.

When the Fuel Rats heard that Persera was trapped outside the galaxy, they began preparing for rescue. Commanders Abish, Highwaywarrior, and theUnkn0wn1 flew out to a distant system at the edge of the void called Semotus Beacon. From there they staged their rescue.

"[The Fuel Rats] deserve that record more than I do."

It took 48 real-time hours to fly out to Persera’s position (theUnkn0wn1 streamed the last 15 hours of the journey and rescue if you are interested). When they arrived on December 23, she had already been stuck there for five days. She said she had never been more relieved to hear the sound of ships dropping out of FTL speed.

“I can hardly describe the sound of a ship dropping out nearby, despite having probably heard it a thousand times by now,” she said. “Sometimes it’s just background, sometimes it’s the sound of imminent danger, but this time it was the most glorious sound I’d ever heard – and I got to hear it three times in rapid succession.”

The trio gave her enough fuel to get back to a scoopable star, but after receiving the fuel, Persera went another 20 km into the void just to break the record before jumping back to the safety of the Milky Way. Even though she officially broke the record, she acknowledges that she couldn’t have done it without the rescue.

“As far as I’m concerned,” she said, “they deserve that record more than I do.”

Permalink to story.

OK,why don't we bring this down to earth via analogy?

Sic: "Bimbo drives her car too far from a gas station, runs, out, and AAA Auto Club has to bring her gas"..

In fact, she would be in more danger in that earthbound scenario, than in deep cyber space, where hours pass before an atom enters the vacuum between her ears.

(I know, I'm no fun. So what)?

OK,why don't we bring this down to earth via analogy?

Sic: "Bimbo drives her car too far from a gas station, runs, out, and AAA Auto Club has to bring her gas"..

In fact, she would be in more danger in that earthbound scenario, than in deep cyber space, where hours pass before an atom enters the vacuum between her ears.

(I know, I'm no fun. So what)?

That's why we love you, Captain.

They should make a movie out of this!

Barbarella-Movie-Poster.jpg

With the amount of time dedicated to the game...I'm guessing these people don't have jobs or families or real lives.

I just got Barbarella to watch. I recall when it came out so I thought I'd watch it again to ..ahem...refresh my memory
OK, director Roger Vadim was banging Jane Fonda at the time.
Jane, as "Barbarella", having real sex with every extra planetary character she encountered, instead of the "pill & hand touching" method of her time. She tried to bang an angel, but found they really do have no genitals, just like the statutes.

These "efforts". were aimed at tracking down an evil genius, (whose name escapes me ATM), and prevent him from releasing the "Matmos" under the city and destroying it. (I've tried spelling "matmos" backwards, it make no sense either way).

Somewhere, at about the 50 minute mark, Barbarella runs into an evil scientist/ politician, (really though, are there any other kind)? He tries to kill her by putting her in a machine which is designed to kill by over physically overstimulating a person through sexual activity. Barbarella breaks the machine..

I hope I didn't give away too much, and spoil the movie for you...;)

PS, I can't believe you don't already have a hard copy of this bonerfied classic..

PPS at somewhere in her late teens to early twenties, the nubile Ms Fonda, was one of the hottest babes on our planet.(y)

Last edited:
With the amount of time dedicated to the game...I'm guessing these people don't have jobs or families or real lives.
It's quite easy to put in only a few hours of flying doing whatever task you wanted, finding a space station or a planet surface, and then shutting down the computer for the night. The game is also autosaving all the time. I think you're getting this game confused with some of the more competitive stuff like League. Or maybe you just wanted to play the tired "sad pathetic gamer" cliche.

With the juvenile and mundane simplicity of the plot plus the amount of time wasted playing the game, I'm frankly amazed, they aren't "genetically enhanced" to the point where they all have an air chuck on their necks, to re-inflate their heads before they log on.

It's quite easy to put in only a few hours of flying doing whatever task you wanted, finding a space station or a planet surface, and then shutting down the computer for the night. The game is also autosaving all the time. I think you're getting this game confused with some of the more competitive stuff like League. Or maybe you just wanted to play the tired "sad pathetic gamer" cliche.
Bimbo forgets to gas her car, drives out of the city, and runs out of gas. AA auto club brings her gas. What did I miss?

At what point would you judge a game "pathetic"? Perhaps after a pure black screen for a week and a half?

FWIW, All the M$ iteration of their "Flight Simulator", have speed multipliers so that you don't have take the full time it takes to fly a Cessna 310 across the US (197 Kts cruise), About 15 hours at cruise, plus stops for fueling and rests over night.

(or whatever ship you choose. Dunno if they have an SR-71 on the plane list)..

Last edited:
Is this game good? I've been interested in it, never played a space sim, but love astronomy, I'd like giving the game a shot, but the Steam reviews aren't really good.

Is this game good? I've been interested in it, never played a space sim, but love astronomy, I'd like giving the game a shot, but the Steam reviews aren't really good.
Yes @darkzelda. It is very good. It was one of my picks for 2017 GOTY. It is similar to EVE: Online but has options to set up private sessions so that you can get into groups that actually want to play rather than spending your whole game session avoiding griefers. There is also a solo mode that you can play to learn the ropes and maybe get a couple of ship under your belt to see what they are like to pilot. I'm not sure if EVE has a solo mode or not.

EVE looks interesting to me to, but I'm biased toward ED since I was addicted to the original in the 80s. I don't really play it much now because I'm too busy with other things, but if you've been thinking about getting it, I say go for it. It's fun.

I may not have done anything as awesome as those 3, but I am a Fuel Rat myself. For those that are not aware of how the system in Elite Dangerous works... A "wing" can only hold a maximum of 4 players. When in a wing, you can see the location of your wingmen in real-time, the game will always instance wing members together and wing members can utilize the nav-lock feature to jump to Supercruise (FTL used for travelling within a star-system) or to execute a H-Jump (to travel to a different star system) as a group. While yes, it is theoretically possible to follow a player without being in a wing with them it is significantly slower and less reliable. As a result we Fuel Rats don't use that method since in our line of work within the game, time is of the essence. Since only 3 of us could go, I had to watch from the sidelines with the others... When our guys finally got there and performed the refueling... I'm going to borrow a phrase from EA here... We all felt an enormous sense of pride and accomplishment.

Yes @darkzelda. It is very good. It was one of my picks for 2017 GOTY. It is similar to EVE: Online but has options to set up private sessions so that you can get into groups that actually want to play rather than spending your whole game session avoiding griefers. There is also a solo mode that you can play to learn the ropes and maybe get a couple of ship under your belt to see what they are like to pilot. I'm not sure if EVE has a solo mode or not.

EVE looks interesting to me to, but I'm biased toward ED since I was addicted to the original in the 80s. I don't really play it much now because I'm too busy with other things, but if you've been thinking about getting it, I say go for it. It's fun.

I'm always confused when people say it's similar to EVE. The only similarities I see is that they are both open worlds in space and instead of outfitting a character you outfit ships.

EVE isn't really a space sim like ED is. EVE's core gameplay revolves around players interacting with players whether that's directly (such as ship to ship combat) or indirectly (such as trading). I would say that EVE is less a space simulator and more a social experiment as interactions with others in an environment less constricting than real life is what makes EVE what it is. Everything else in the game simply makes the environment more believable and adds new ways for players to interact. In other words, one never truly plays EVE in a bubble, even if an individual mostly plays solo you will have some sort of interaction with others on a regular basis from trading to even running away, guaranteed.

The same can't be said about ED. ED is very much a space ship survival simulator much like Skyrim is a Dragonborn simulator or Fallout is a nuclear holocaust survivor simulator, but with the added benefit of having multiplayer capabilities and a pseudo-persistent world that everyone shares (sort of), but with the debatably negative aspect of having no main story quest to follow. Interaction with others is limited to being non-existent if you so choose or flying with and/or dogfighting with others (including similar planet-side interactions). You also have the fringe cases of interaction such as what's detailed in the article, but the great major is of the previously mentioned. I would say that the most important part of ED is the simulation part (simulating flight, life-support, alien encounters, planet mechanics, etc) all because multiplayer can be disabled.

Thus EVE and ED are very dissimilar. One relies on player interactions to drive the game while the other relies on its simulation mechanics.

With the juvenile and mundane simplicity of the plot plus the amount of time wasted playing the game, I'm frankly amazed, they aren't "genetically enhanced" to the point where they all have an air chuck on their necks, to re-inflate their heads before they log on.

If you're judging the "plot" of the game based only on the content of the article, your excluding over 80% of the other activities the game offers.

Elite is far removed from the more popular FPS gaming genre, which is where real mundane plots actually exist, and more like a MMORPG where everything you do can affect or impact the real-time game environment.

.......[ ].....
Well Jeff, welcome to Techspot.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, take note I've "quoted" your post @ # 20. Hmm, what's missing? Oh wait, I know, anything spoken in the first person.

My best advice to you, before undertaking trying to "inform & enlighten" me on this issue, is learn how to make a quoting post, correctly. As it stands, you've managed to post yourself quoting yourself.

I've always been bad with names, something that old age seems to be exacerbating. However, I'm well aware of IMDB, as well as owning a DVD copy, (Store bought, in fact), of "Barbarella". Thus, it would have been quite easy for me to fill in the name of "Duran Duran", when I posted that.

Instead, I chose to "continue to forget", the antagonist's name, leaving instead others to research it. What that did, is to "affect the actions of others", creating opportunities for them, (take yourself as an example) to "get involved", in the "MMORPG", which is the Techspot forums.

Now, I've given you a "mercy like" , on Post #20. By my count, that means you owe me 3 likes. Jeez, I'm like some greedy "Fuel Rat", who expects to be given compensation for traveling outside our galaxy.

To keep this post "on topic", (which is something I incessantly strive for ;) ), here's, "Duran, Duran":
Oddly, their absence hasn't, "made my heart grow fonder", of them.

And here is, "music worth listening to", so in the future, you'll know the difference...

Last edited:
Perhaps so, but I consciously avoided going all, "ad hominem" on your sorry a**! :mad:

I'm been trying to project a kinder, gentler, personna of late. Maybe sort of like, "kindly old GrandpaCranky".;):cool::p

I just meant you can be clever if you actually try. You're doing that by criticizing a game you have nothing to do with?

Back