Elon Musk announces $50 Cyberwhistle, mocks Apple's $19 polishing cloth

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Elon Musk thinks you shouldn't buy Apple's $19 microfibre polishing cloth; instead, you should purchase Tesla's $50 whistle that resembles the company's upcoming Cybertruck. The aptly named Cyberwhistle is already sold out on the Tesla website, proving that people really will buy anything.

Musk promoted the whistle on Twitter with a tweet that read, "Blow the whistle on Tesla." The EV giant recently faced a lawsuit brought by a worker at its Fremont factory in California, alleging rampant sexual harassment at the plant. It was also ordered to pay $137 million in damages for failing to stop a black employee at the same factory from being racially abused.

The limited-edition Cyberwhistle is made from medical-grade stainless steel with a polished finish. The description says it comes with an integrated attachment feature for added versatility, or what most people would call a lanyard. Buyers also get a very nice-looking box for their $50 outlay.

That amount of money is a lot for a whistle, even one as fancy as the Cyberwhistle, but Musk has compared the "premium collectible" to the $19 microfibre polishing cloth sold by Apple, which had been its most backordered product.

"Don't waste your money on that silly Apple Cloth, buy our whistle instead!" Musk wrote in a follow-up tweet.

The Tesla shop's Lifestyle section has several luxury (expensive) items for sale alongside the Cyberwhistle. There's the $150 Tesla Decanter inspired by Musk's Tesla Tequila brand, $175 scale miniature models of Tesla vehicles, a $30 mug, and a $60 umbrella.

It should come as little surprise to learn that, as the Cyberwhistle is already sold out, scalpers are selling them on eBay for comically high prices. The majority are priced in triple figures, while the most expensive right now is $5,000.

For those who simply can't spend enough money on all things Musk, Caviar is selling a bust and iPhone 13 Pro immortalizing the billionaire. They're priced at $3,220 and $6,760, respectively.

Permalink to story.

Petition to stop publishing anything and everything Musk does: If it's not tech related, it just doesn't belongs in the website which is apparently ok with turning into a gossip rag for some cheap clicks and views if it can have "Elon Musk" written anywhere on the headlines.

This product is almost certainly a tacit jab at cry-wolf shakedown artists, who deserve all the derision we can muster and then some.

I wouldn’t have thought about Tesla today until now. Once again the media are being used by the rich to promote their brands. Same thing with the Apple cloth, monitor stand, mac wheels, $300 picture book. All designed to prompt journalists to write free marketing for them.

We are all just extras in their story..

Can someone explain to me the difference in "medical grade" stainless steel and good ole fashioned stainless steel? While you're at it, feel free to delve into "aircraft grade" aluminum and "military grade" anything at all.

Petition to stop publishing anything and everything Musk does: If it's not tech related, it just doesn't belongs in the website which is apparently ok with turning into a gossip rag for some cheap clicks and views if it can have "Elon Musk" written anywhere on the headlines.
I bet you are fun at parties...

Yea, I mean it's fascinating to read those articles but neither state what is considered "medical grade" or "military grade." Only that there are various grades of stainless steel (depending on which grade scale you would like to follow). I'm not being sarcastic, necessarily. I just always wonder what a service provider is trying to sell me when they drop those terms in there. Is "medical grade" from one company that same "medical grade" from another company? I've never served in the military, but plenty of veterans and servicemembers I know will tell you half the "military grade" tools and weapons they had access to were garbage and required constant maintenance. So, if that's the case in some instances, why would I ever want a "military grade stainless steel" shovel? I think I'd prefer "non-military grade stainless steel."

OK, all advertising is based in lies and propaganda.
So, don'y buy anything that isn't returnable. Consider the source. If you want a pair of "medical grade" scissors or forceps, buy from a reputable medical supply firm. But, it will cost you.

Of you think I have the will, or time, to offer a litany of suggestions, or a course on comparative shopping, I don't. Why not subscribe to "Consumer Reports", instead?

Back