Elon Musk escalates feud with Disney boss Bob Iger, removes Disney+ app from Tesla vehicles

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: If there's one person you can guarantee will hold onto a grudge, it's Elon Musk. Following his beef with Disney boss Bob Iger, the world's richest man has removed the Disney+ app from some Tesla vehicles without giving owners a reason why.

It seems Musk isn't ready to let the Iger feud end. Over the weekend, several Tesla owners reported that the Disney+ app had disappeared from their vehicles' Theater screens.

Electrek reports that last week, a Tesla source informed Disney+ that it would be removing the native app from its vehicles without giving an explanation for the move. A few days later, the EV giant informed Disney that the app would be removed only for owners who had never used it before.

The latest Musk saga began in mid-November when several companies, including Disney, suspended advertising on X following an investigation that revealed some ads were appearing next to pro-Nazi content. This all happened while Musk was facing criticism for posting a positive reply to a message arguing that Jewish communities push hatred against whites. Musk has since apologized for his post, calling it "perhaps one of the most foolish, if not the most foolish, thing I've ever done on the platform."

Musk, who once called a cave diver involved in the rescue of a soccer team in Thailand a "pedo guy" for criticizing his plan to help, responded to the advertisers rushing to leave X by telling them to "Go f**k yourself" during an interview at The New York Times Dealbook Summit. He called out Iger directly, stating "Hey Bob, if you're in the audience, that's how I feel." Musk also claimed Disney has been "infected by the woke mind virus."

Tesla owners who never used Disney+ in their vehicles but do want to access the streaming platform can still do so via the Tesla browser. It appears from the clip below that this will cause the app to reappear in the Theater screen section, too.

Not surprisingly, Musk's latest move in his fight against Iger is being slammed by many people, most of whom who are amazed by the pettiness of the whole situation.

Permalink to story.

An EV takes time to charge. Tesla’s have big screens. Why not throw up an episode of some show and watch it while waiting? If it has safer features, such as not being able to watch it on the main screen while driving, seems like a good feature.

Exactly. Having YT or Netflix is an excellent option (the video cannot be played while driving: But audio can). This is especially helpful when running errands and needing to wait (say, at a laundrymat or waiting for someone to complete their shopping).

If anything, it's unfortunate Tesla has so few options for media playback. Even their audio streaming only has several apps.

The drama queen throws another hissy fit. No wonder his advertisers are giving him the finger.

His Twitter, or X, or whatever new name he has for it, has become the new MySpace dinosaur. At this rate it will have the same pathetic ending.

its probably for the back-seat where children cannot be bothered to look out their car window and think to themselves
From what it looks like it's on the front main console driver and front passenger side. Another reason I see this was to maximize distraction while your life is being used as a beta tester for autonomous driving at a premium. 😳
Update I don't own a telsa but from the yt videos on the autonomous driving it does seem that the console is used for navigation, so I'm leaning towards the keep you entertained while charging.

From what it looks like it's on the front main console driver and front passenger side. Another reason I see this was to maximize distraction while your life is being used as a beta tester for autonomous driving at a premium. 😳
Update I don't own a telsa but from the yt videos on the autonomous driving it does seem that the console is used for navigation, so I'm leaning towards the keep you entertained while charging.
Yeah it was primarily used for charging, but now that touchscreens are being added to the backseat of all vehicles it’ll be used for babysitting 😂
So now the customers have to suffer because Elon is a man child. How nice.
The drama queen throws another hissy fit. No wonder his advertisers are giving him the finger.
How do we know Disney did not request to remove the app? They were the ones who let words affect whether they will do business in the first place, and there is no evidence yet that Elon Musk made this move.

Other big companies like Sony, IBM, Warner Bros, Apple, etc all pulled advertising from Twitter after Musk endorsed the conspiracy post claiming Jews hate white people. Disney wasnt the only one pulling advertising.

Is Musk going to start trashing the CEOs of those companies too?

Even if it hasn't been over a decade since Disney produced anything worth watching, cars don't need streaming services in them.

Quick question, why do cars need theater screens?
Rogue One, Star Wars Andor, Captain America Civil War, Captain America Winter Soldier, Avengers Infinity War, Avengers Endgame, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2 and 3, Thor Ragnarock, Spiderman Homecoming + Far from home + No way Home, Shang Chi, Black Panther, etc are all good to excellent Disney Star Wars and Disney Marvel movies made in the last decade that are worth watching.

Rogue One, Star Wars Andor, Captain America Civil War, Captain America Winter Soldier, Avengers Infinity War, Avengers Endgame, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2 and 3, Thor Ragnarock, Spiderman Homecoming + Far from home + No way Home, Shang Chi, Black Panther, etc are all good to excellent Disney Star Wars and Disney Marvel movies made in the last decade that are worth watching.
Gaurdians 1 and infinity wars are those only ones on that lost worth watching with MAYBE endgame being added to that list

And they all have basically the same story line, just different characters playing the roles. <sigh>

Of course an advertiser will want its general-population advertisements to appear next to non-controversial topics. Most advertisers will equally avoid both sides of such things and their decision to do so doesn't tell you anything about their private personal beliefs. Public corporations tend to have no beliefs anyway, or at least none they'd act on when it interfered with profit-making.

The idea that Musk doesn't seem to understand this; and is conflating the barely-related topics of advertiser goals vs. freedom of speech; and is choosing to focus on this vs. any of dozens of much more significant topics he could personally engage in at very high levels of impact; really makes me wonder if some portion of his brain hasn't been scrambled in a dangerous way to him personally and to all the many people who are in some way linked to him and his enterprises. He wasn't always this level of raving lunatic.

These are mainly used for people who charge at SCs. Definitely a nice feature vs playing with your phone. I'm sure it's great for kids too. No need to bring Ipads plus you have immersive audio all around you.

Gaurdians 1 and infinity wars are those only ones on that lost worth watching with MAYBE endgame being added to that list
Most movie goers and most regular audience reviewers would beg to differ.

The Marvel movies on that list are among the best Marvel movies in the franchise - better than most of the Marvel movies from the earlier Phase 1 movies (better than Iron Man 1, Iron Man 2, Captain America 1, Thor 1, Thor 2, Hulk, etc).

And they all have basically the same story line, just different characters playing the roles. <sigh>
You think Captain America Winter Soldier has the same story as Guardians of the Galaxy?

Or Star Wars Rogue One has the same story/plot as Thor (3) Ragnarok?

What? Have you actually seen these movies?

Some people hate Disney now because:
! - Melon Musk is upset they don't want to advertise with the hate pusher
2 - Their political party told them so and they're obedient.

Really it's more of the last say 5 years that the house of mouse has really properly dropped the ball, most of those movies are approaching a decade old now though. Nearly 8 and 9 years respectively since Rogue one and The winter soldier (my 2 favorites you listed) hammers home just how fast the last decade has flown by.

Does Elon Musk get on with anybody for long? He's such a petulant prima-donna these days. Used to be a astute businessman now he's just another narcissistic lunatic to add to the roster of lunatics in charge of big companies.

Didn't Elon Musk say he could care less about advertisers pulling out of his Twitter platform? He told them to go f**k themselves, remember? He said he can't be blackmailed with money since he's so rich. He doesn't care, yet he keeps going on these petty revenge rants and other nonsense. This is akin to someone using a knife to carve I'M NOT A PSYCHO into their arm. Sure Elon, you don't care about advertisers or money, and fish don't care about water.

There will come a time when people will get so fed up with his antics they will stop buying Teslas just to avoid the man-child's tantrums. I can't wait to see his reaction to that!

Other big companies like Sony, IBM, Warner Bros, Apple, etc all pulled advertising from Twitter after Musk endorsed the conspiracy post claiming Jews hate white people. Disney wasnt the only one pulling advertising.

Is Musk going to start trashing the CEOs of those companies too?
I hope so! It would be a good way to make sure those advertisers NEVER return. Elon is like that guy who brags about his gun and then immediately shoots himself in the foot with it.

Some people hate Disney now because:
! - Melon Musk is upset they don't want to advertise with the hate pusher
2 - Their political party told them so and they're obedient.
Or folks are sick of low effort nonsense in place of actual effort, leaving Musk completely out of it we're to the point where this has become societally mockable as has been demonstrated by South Park and other extremely long running societal critiques. Disney is not actually interested in any of the actual concepts they are attempting to ham-fistedly shoe horn into the inappropriate spaces. They're simply chasing what their ill informed analytics seemed to tell them, which is evolving in real time as it has become clear that folks only have so much appetite for zero effort gender or ethnic flipping of established properties. Black panther was a spectacular movie for so many reasons that I am ill equipped to do justice to, and theatre goers responded to it because it was really well made with time and care without pandering to short lived cultural fads.

There are so many places Disney could source from with regard to folk tales and oral traditions but they don't even try because that might ruffle some feathers or require they actually do the research (besides non sequels or established properties are financial unknowns). Not to mention they definitely benefit from (or have until recently) the drama that is whipped up every time they decide to hijack the oral history of central and eastern Europe to tweak things in just the right way to rather annoy the maximum number of folks. Just looking at the Innu people of Northern Canada you've got thousands of years of oral history and stories to pull from in a space that is effectively never represented in children and youth entertainment, but again that would require Disney to actually put in the time. Moana and Brave did pretty well and were great movies for kids or adults, seeing as I'm half Irish and half Scottish seeing anything vaguely related to Celt or Gaelic myth and legends that were passed down in my family was quite nice.

Back