EMachine ET1160-05 won't start after several power blinks

She called crying and wants my help. I found a few posts, but no help. No lights come on anywhere. She has another computer, she said I could pull the power suppy from, but it won't come on either. I would buy her a power supply or just a better refurb, but I was ill for six month and have just become mobile again.

One sight said to hit reset on the mother board. Where would that be? I don't see one. What else could I try, that wouldn't cost anything, but might fix it or at least pinpoint the problem. That way she won't have to waste money, on parts that aren't needed.

FYI
SN=PTNADOY00384601CD99000
snid=84738590
Windows Vista Home Basic upgraded to Mindows 7
AMD Athlon LE-1620 Processor
MVIDIA GeForce 6150SE Integrated
160GB Hard Drive
2GB DDR2 Memory

Thanks.

Emachine power supplies AND motherboards are notorious for failing. Personally, I don't trust those AMD chipsets either. Since this computer is not that old, there is a slightly better chance that it's the PSU, and not the board.

This is all very gut wrenching, but it is most likely that the PSU is bad. It's the "power blinky thing", that makes me say that. f you have a digital voltmeter you could check for the proper voltages being present in the PSU before you buy a replacement.

"Reset" on the board, is an issue with resetting the "CMOS" and it doesn't really seem to apply to the symptoms you describe. There is no actual button for that BTW.

That said, I never cry when one of my computers fail. I get very angry, and throw its parts all around. I guess we all cope in our own way.

Back