Emachine Help T2885 stop working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
I have an Emachine T2885 and it just recently stop working. And I am trying to figure out possible cause and ways to fix. Is this a power isssue or a board issue. If so is this an easy problem to fix and where is a good place to find replacement parts and how easy is it to change the part.

To give you an idea of the problem the machine had been working fine up till about a week or two ago and I turned it on walked away came back and it was off. Thought nothing about it then another day it cut off while working on it. then on day after turning it on it started up then cut off. and when I push the power button it would not come it is sounded as if it was doing something and light were blinking and but no power any idea. don't want to spend more than this cost to repair so is there an inexpensive way to fix the problem.

Hi reggie and welcome to TechSpot :D

The bad news
:(
unfortunetly eMachines are well known for having defective power supplies and motherboards. chances are that they will both go eventually.

since your computer turns on and off sometimes, and isn't completely dead then the power supply is the likely cause (generally a dead mobo just plain doesn't work...at all)

The good news :)
eMachines use a standard ATX power supply and it's an easy part to replace (because you don't have to remove any other component besides the PSU itself). what's the wattage and 12v amperage rating on the bad PSU? (this info will help in finding a suitable replacement PSU)

as far as the physical changinf of the PSU, it is quite simple, all the power connectors only match the recepticle that they are supposed to plug into, so it's pretty fool proof. the only tool you will need is a phillips screwdriver.

cheers :wave:

thanks

info, yea it seem you get what you pay for and the emachine don't last long. Don't have the v right now I will have to check on it. Now the PC does not come on at all so I guess that mean the Motherboard gone. Any suggestion on that. Do you have an idea where I can get Motherboard from if it need to be replace and also any info on where I can get a power supply from.

thanks for the info, yea it seem you get what you pay for and the emachine don't last long. Don't have the v right now I will have to check on it. Now the PC does not come on at all so I guess that mean the Motherboard gone. Any suggestion on that. Do you have an idea where I can get Motherboard from if it need to be replace and also any info on where I can get a power supply from.

KingCody said:
Hi reggie and welcome to TechSpot :D

The bad news
:(
unfortunetly eMachines are well known for having defective power supplies and motherboards. chances are that they will both go eventually.

since your computer turns on and off sometimes, and isn't completely dead then the power supply is the likely cause (generally a dead mobo just plain doesn't work...at all)

The good news :)
eMachines use a standard ATX power supply and it's an easy part to replace (because you don't have to remove any other component besides the PSU itself). what's the wattage and 12v amperage rating on the bad PSU? (this info will help in finding a suitable replacement PSU)

as far as the physical changinf of the PSU, it is quite simple, all the power connectors only match the recepticle that they are supposed to plug into, so it's pretty fool proof. the only tool you will need is a phillips screwdriver.

cheers :wave:

Hi i check on the PSU and it a Bestec Model ATX-250-12E
200-240 v-3A
output +12V
not sure if i am reading the wats right one place i see 250W and another I see 150W.
250W max

well i suppose it could be either a PSU or motherboard... or both (the mobo could have died as a result of the bad PSU). but since it's easier and should be done anyways, I would suggest changing the PSU before you worry about a motherboard.

the motherboard is a standard mATX mobo, a replacement would be easy to find if you still want to change it (keep in mind however that it's alot more involved than changing the PSU).

and for your PSU specs, you read the wattage fine, but you didn't read the amperage. but that's ok, it would seem that it uses a 250w PSU. so a 300w-350w PSU from a reputible brand (not bestec... lol :haha: ) should be more than enough. consider this model. it is cheap at only $29 but is much more powerful and reliable than the one you're replacing it with.

as far as where to buy parts from... that's up to you. if you "need it now" then a computer store will supply all of it, otherwise you can usually get better prices online from retailers like newegg.com.

:wave:

I took the psu out of my parents w2888 and replaced it with a coolmax v-400. Now the system seems to run faster. It used to have the same model of psu as this system you're talking about.

ITS BOTH. EMACHINES ARE CRAP, SO DONT BUY IT. INFACT YOU ARE BETTER OFF JUST GOING TO BUY AN HP COMPUTER AND TRANSFER YOUR EMACHINES HARD DRIVE TO IT AS A SECONDARY. Ya dont waist your time buying a new psu because its both, and if its the psu emachines are still useless in the long run. go to frys, buy a hp desktop pc or build your own and use some parts from your emachines to upgrade. like you can add your emachines hard drive and also if the GFX card is good, you can replace that ... OH and if your RAM is compatible with your new pc, you can also upgrade ...

lol i just bought a junk'd t2885 at the local Goodwill computer works store. It had the Bestec removed so i figured it was toast and now i have found out the mobo is toast as well. But the CD and DVD drives work great! i am using them right now. I guess the toast mobo will join the imperial board on my emachines wall of shame :D haha

I had the exact same issue with a freinds e machine. I replaced the powersupply (upgraded) and the mobo (upgraded). Mobo from serversupply.com part number BLKD845GLVAL description INTEL - D845GLVAL PGA478 MATX VIDEO LAN MOTHERBOARD (BLKD845GLVAL) .NEW IN BOX. IN STOCK. $68.00. This is a direct replacement, plug and play and it worked great. The power supply is from 911forpcs.com. Mfg. by Bestec REPLACEBEST480WATTS-B ATX-250-12E Substitute for $34.00

I hope this will help some of you out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back