Emachine T5026 upgrade or replace

Status
Not open for further replies.

zach203

I have an emachine T5026 that I am either looking to upgrade or replace. If I were to upgrade it I need a new video card and at least 1 GB of memory. I have had this computer for nearly three years and also know that the psu should and needs to be replaced. I have built an older computer from scratch before so this will be easy to replace these things. Or should I buy a new computer? I would like a good gaming computer. If need be I could scrap parts from the emachine. Either way it needs to be affordable.

Welcome to TechSpot! :wave:
Specify a budget and the exact specifications of your current machine. It would enable everyone to help you better if you could fill out your PC specs in your profile. Also fill out your location.

Budget: as little as possible. i am willingly to scrap parts from it to cut costs if possible otherwise i have to save up

as little as possible :| if you had it for 3 years I think alot of things need changing....I think it's better if you replace it with new computer. There are very cheap models you can get from e-machines..or other companies...

Hmm, in that case, I'd recommend getting this motherboard. You can transfer all your existing parts to this and then slowly upgrade it as you see fit. I'd also recommend purchasing this memory for optimum performance, since it's affordable and of good quality. You can slowly upgrade part by part and save yourself the hassle of saving up to buy everything together. For a possible CPU upgrade, I'd suggest going with an Intel Dual-Core E2140 or E2160 processor. But one thing is certain, replace the PSU ASAP. I'd suggest this one if you're willing to go for the rebate. Otherwise, get this one instead. Video-card wise, you may want to consider getting at least an 8600GT. The Radeon HD 3850 is a good choice for $170 or so. Prices will drop in the future, so you may be able to get the parts quite cheaper than now. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Forget It......Really......Forget It....!

The Emachines T-5026 is built on a MODIFIED Intel 515GAG board.
I doubt that it will run the new dual cores E2-4-6xxxx.
It carries DDR RAM, not DDR2.
And last but not least, the board is crippled by the removal of the PCIE X16 socket. You simply CAN'T upgrade the graphics and the onboard GPU is the Intel GMA 915 chipset. < Third strike,end of story.

I own one, I love it, no matter what anybody says about it, but forget about trying to upgrading it, it's not really doable

The only parts worth salvaging from the machine are the HDD (WD SATA 1) maybe the CD & DVD drives and the card reader, everything else is either worthless or obsolete. The case may be worth salvaging also, if you plan to build around a MATX board the CPU fan/heatsink is by Coolermaster, it's a well done cooling solution. It depends on the board you choose as to whether the case side air duct will line up correctly, and it must, because the case is so small.

On the upside, it's got value as a working machine. I'd shove a new PSU in it. (Mine is on it's third).

Exactly. That's why I recommended upgrading to the ASROCK mobo I posted a link to. It'll allow him a lot of room for upgrades while also working with his old parts.

Another Brick in the Wall.......

Rage, the board you've suggested is indeed a fine choice. However, it is an ATX board and consequently won't fit into the case. As we all know, to use the new board will require the purchase of a new copy of Windows, and a new case.

This doesn't leave a lot of the T-5026 as usable. We're down to the CPU (a non -hyperthreading Intel 519 3.06Ghz PRESCOTT P-4, some DDR RAM and maybe the drives. The DVD burner in the Emachine is a TSST something or other which, (IMHO) is a POS. The first desktop had to go back for a bad burner, the second one couldn't read it's own writing. If I were more of a furniture person, I might have had a use for all the coasters that drive managed to create. Any model Pioneer ($30.00 OEM) will burn circles around that drive.

So, (again IMHO), to sacrifice the machine for what you can get in parts to build with, is not really the best idea. You need a working computer to build a computer. How else you gonna ring up Techspot if you get yourself into trouble?

captaincranky said:
Rage, the board you've suggested is indeed a fine choice. However, it is an ATX board and consequently won't fit into the case. As we all know, to use the new board will require the purchase of a new copy of Windows, and a new case.

This doesn't leave a lot of the T-5026 as usable. We're down to the CPU (a non -hyperthreading Intel 519 3.06Ghz PRESCOTT P-4, some DDR RAM and maybe the drives. The DVD burner in the Emachine is a TSST something or other which, (IMHO) is a POS. The first desktop had to go back for a bad burner, the second one couldn't read it's own writing. If I were more of a furniture person, I might have had a use for all the coasters that drive managed to create. Any model Pioneer ($30.00 OEM) will burn circles around that drive.

So, (again IMHO), to sacrifice the machine for what you can get in parts to build with, is not really the best idea. You need a working computer to build a computer. How else you gonna ring up Techspot if you get yourself into trouble?

Disclaimer: I had the ever so slight tendency to accidentally put 2 DVDs in the TSST drive at once, when I first got the box. I am not sure what effect this may have had on it in later life. This should at least blunt the replies saying TSSTs are great, Pioneers suck.

Please forgive the double post. "Edit" is spelled Q-U-O-T-E, is it not?

so what captaincranky said is that your suggestions won't work. i don't neccesarily have to scrap the parts from the emachine. i could build one from scratch. i also need to get a new copy of windows for right now i'm stuck with what i have what would you reccomend because you obviously know a lot more about computers than i do. buying a prebuilt computer would be easier and more expensive where as i could try to build my one and save some money. the other thing is that it doesn't need to be extreme. i only use it for moderate gaming and school work.

Building one from scratch would be the way to go if you have all the cash laying around. How much would you be looking to spend? The other alternative could be to buy a new inexpensive case, like this CoolerMaster Elite RC330 case, pair it with the mobo I mentioned before and transfer all your existing parts to that 'new' PC and upgrade it step by step. We can help you either way so decide what your best option would be and let us know by PM or in this thread if you want. :)

what do you think. there is a compusa closing down close by that i may be able to get some stuff real cheap. the thing is with the sales this won't be happening anytime soon as it is still under warranty. everything that you said would be cool. i think my best choice would be the coolermaster case and work with what i got. the dvd-rw burner and hardrive i think i could keep. the two main things i wanted to upgrade at first was the ram and video card, but talking about i think that is the best way to go. i will have to buy a motherboard, ram, video card, and psu right? Maybe another dvd drive. i like having the two. i have some old Acer computers that i probably won't be able to scrap either so it would be best to forget scrap as much as possible and to simply start from scratch. i also have a seagate 160 GB external hard drive so i don't need any hard drive space.

No..! That's not what captaincranky said...!

zach203 said:
so what captaincranky said is that your suggestions won't work. i don't neccesarily have to scrap the parts from the emachine. i could build one from scratch. i also need to get a new copy of windows for right now i'm stuck with what i have what would you reccomend because you obviously know a lot more about computers than i do. buying a prebuilt computer would be easier and more expensive where as i could try to build my one and save some money. the other thing is that it doesn't need to be extreme. i only use it for moderate gaming and school work.

Rage offered you a suggestion to assist you in doing what you said you wanted to do.

captaincranky said that the mobo wouldn't fit in the Emachines case, thereby reducing your usable transfer parts by the case.

So, what you have left usable from the Emachine is some obsolete DDR RAM (512MB if memory serves), a P4 519 Prescott CPU (which doubles as a space heater), and a who knows if it's working TSST DVD burner.

IMHO that's not enough to warrant the "sacrificial murder" of your T-5026. And, if you ask Rage the same question he'll give you the same answer.

If you were to buy modern, much better performing parts to replace the 3 pieces you now have to use, you would need to spend about $170.00 USD. If you don't have it fine, kill the Emachine. If you're willing to save a bit longer, then you'll have 2 working computers.

From my point of view:
1: I'd install more RAM in the T-5026 (which I've done)

2: I'd replace the TSST burner with a Pioneer (which I've done)

3: I'd replace the PSU in the T-5026 (which I've done twice)

4: I'd put together a budget and an integration strategy for a new computer, and build it. (Which I've done and am now doing again).

I broke the BIOS in my new computer, killing the motherboard. I went on line for answers and new parts with the T-5026. I got them.

:confused: i don't have the money and the tsst burner i am getting replaced under the warranty, i really need a new video card with pixel shader, but i can't add that to the emachine or can i? the other thing is i don't need two computers because i already have a computer that i could use if necessary that i built from a few free old computers. if not there are another three in my house plus computers at school. plus all this won't be effectie immediately because it is still under warranty.:confused:

also call me stupid but what does mobo mean?

Ummmm....

MO- (ther) BO -(ard),

Emachines has already gotten as much performance out of that system configuration as is likely. With the obvious exception of the graphics, s you pointed out.

Money is a problem for all of us, so I sympathize. But, having "other computers you can use", is not the same as the privacy and unlimited access you might enjoy with the extra box.

I don't understand how the Emachine anything is under warranty, since it was discontinued some time ago, although I'm not sure when. Mine will be three Feb. 14th.

To me the idea of cannibalizing it for parts seems "penny wise and pound foolish", considering the "buy one and lose one" copy of Windows (among other loses) issues it creates.

To integrate a new system from the ground up might be more expensive, but you can choose parts at the outset that you can "grow into".

The 519 P4 CPU denies you at the jump, from a number of advanced technologies and abilities that only the modern dual core CPUs can accomplish.

oh i feel stupid. and your right the privacy is nice. if i got a new motherboard and used the old hard drive would i be able to use windows or the recovery disks? my mom got an extended warranty since she is seemingly always having computer problems. i was going to try and scrap the hard drive and the dvd drive and the new case rage talked about i would like to get and start from there. what do you think?

another stupid question...
that motherboard talked about before, do i have to buy a cpu and will windows xp work on it?

Yeah you'll need a CPU for the new motherboard if you plan on running the eMachine for some more time. I'd suggest the Intel Dual-Core E2140 CPU as an excellent choice for under $100. I found it cheapest here for just over $60. And yes, it'll work with XP, although you'd need a fresh install of it.

alright then that's what i'll do. it sucks though 2 months ago i could have gotten that case for free there was a 30 rebate only it had to be dated before 11/28/2007. Thanks for all your help.

Yeah it's an excellent deal for a 680i-based motherboard. Be warned however that the northbridge runs hot, so you may want at least 2 case fans in your case of choice. I recommend CoolerMaster's cases, since they're of excellent build quality and are relatively inexpensive as well, plus they come with 2-3 fan slots for good airflow. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

i also found out about the psu. supposably it's any emacnine model in the 2000 series that has all the problems

i was thinking of a budget around $200 any more i would have to save up for. in thinking that spending half of that on a motherboard is stupid. the video card should be the most expensive so maybe i should go with this motherboard. it has the features that i am looking for (able to add on very later, duo core, max 8GB, multiple pci card slots) I will also go for any savings i can get (rebates, free shipping, sale, etc.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186116

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back