Emachine W2260 CPU Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so heres the prob........ my Emachine hassa crappy cpu :dead: imo (in my opinion) ummmm i will try and get the spec but i just wanna know what kind of cpu (upgrading) i can put in it??

its kinnda slow loading when i play WoW :angel: (world of warcraft) and durring raids i lagg alot so i was just trying to fix the prob...

******************** SYSTEM SUMMARY ********************

Windows Version: Windows 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Machine Type: AT/AT COMPATIBLE
System BIOS Version: FIC - 42302e31
System BIOS Date: 12/09/02
Processor Type: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 0
Processor Vendor: AuthenticAMD
Number of Processors: 1
Physical Memory: 736 MB

if u need anyother info just let me know :chef:

I'm having a hard time finding info on your system. Here's what I have so far:

You have an AthonXP 2200 CPU
256MB of ram (unless you upgraded)
integrated video, with an open AGP slot.

Now, if you are wanting to upgrade simply for GAMING purposes, I think that the ram and video card would be the first things to upgrade before that CPU. You'll notice some decent improvments if you:

Upgrade to 512mb ram (or even 1Gb)
Upgrade to a newer AGP video card like the 6600GT for example (around $130)

Your power supply would also need to be upgraded and will cost you around $30 for a decent 300W PSU (sparkle for example).

i have 756 ram and a new vid card (RADEON 9250 PCI Slot My apg is to odl) bt i have now new power supply and i think it work fine but waht do i know i wont be back till about 3pm so ill check back in then

See what some others say as well, but I'd still say that if you are on a budget and want to sqeeze as much gaming performance as you can out of your machine, your money would be best spent upgrading your graphics card (and PSU if your current one it is not enough to power a new graphics card) before you upgrade the CPU. If you have the cash to do both, great! But if you can only do one, I'd say the video card is what is holding you back the most. A radeon 9250 is not going to play games very well at all, and I am not surprised you are not satisfied.

For about $150 ~  you can get a new PSU and graphics card that'll beef your system up a fair bit.

It's true, that video card is going to hold you back the most.

But for WoW, CPU is going to be the most important factor for epic raids and cities.

well im not the one whos going to be paying for it and my mom jsut bought that video card soo shes not going to get antohrer but still i dont know what kind of CPU i should get thats compatibul with my motherboard...and that was my question in the first place my video card is fine imo but.........and i am satisfied with btw.... my friends computer has a very old video card and he has a better cpu and his runs better so its def. not my vid card

and i tryed getting a APG Vidio Card butttt.......my APG is Version 1.0 and unless i get a new motherboard i cannot use new APG Video Cards b/c they are APG 2.0...

Well, to TRY and answer your original question then....

I am actually having a hard time getting some details about your computer. Specifically the FSB of your motherboard. Your current CPU is 133Mhz, so I'll assume it supports at least that much. In which case, your motherboard should be able to handle up to:

Socket A:
AthlonXP 2600+ (Thoroughbread B)

so thats the highest and best cpu i can get w/o upgrading the m-board??

and srry if i ypset u it just bothers me when ppl tell me about OTHER things i need to do heh

and i cannot find any online store (i live in the mid of nowhere) where i can buy on have any ideas??

emachinehater said:
so thats the highest and best cpu i can get w/o upgrading the m-board??

and srry if i ypset u it just bothers me when ppl tell me about OTHER things i need to do heh

and i cannot find any online store (i live in the mid of nowhere) where i can buy on have any ideas??

Internet.

I have no problem suggesting www.newegg.com. Awesome online store with great prices.

I'm afraid you are going to have a hard time finding that processor, as they stopped making them some time ago.

Ebay is probably your best bet, but be sure you get the 133mhz (effective bus speed of 266mhz) as there are other versions of the AthlonXP 2600 as well.

P.S. I can not gaurantee that your motherboard will support this CPU. I am unable to find any information about your specific model and what CPUs are supported, so I am taking my best guess. (Just to be straight up about it).

I had one of these computers donated to me (the heatsink was a POS, overheated all the time), and I think the processor is fine, and you have plenty of RAM. You should get a new a new video card, even an old AGP one, anything is better than a PCI video card.

geforce8400gs, do u know u are digging up threads 3 years old and no one is watching them in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back