eMachines Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,

I have been reading for about 3 hours now trying to get some understanding to fix my eMachines C2685 but the fix doesn't seem to be clear.

Background: I baught an eMachines several years back - I know I should have been flogged then and wasn't but I'm sure I'll get some of that here. Then one day both the USB ports and the audio quit working. I baught a USB card and installed it but it was driving my son nuts not to have audio. He's 15. Finally, I decided to replace the mobo - something I had not done before but was willing to try. I read a few things about mobo replacement and thought I could do it without to much difficulty. I moved all of my files to storage, completed an XP Home clean re-install (using Ghost disks provided - they don't give you real OS disks), re-registered using the key code I got from using "magic Jellybean", used the computer for a couple of days to make sure the software was still OK, and then made the change to a Biostar P4M80-M4 mobo that was supposed to be compatible.

Now when I try to power up I get a brief flash of Windows XP, then the Biostar background, then briefly a text indicating configuration set up, then a display right after that reads something like "Were sorry, Windows did not start correctly, a recent hardware change may have caused this......" then it waits for a countdown timer and tries to restart. There is safe modes, last known configuration, and finally start normally. I have been into the BIOS and all of the settings seem to be correct.

I thinking that using the Ghost CDs that the manufacturer provided won't help much. I am willing to buy a new OS but I don't know which kind - OEM or Retail - to use to do a repair install? Or do I need to do something else?

(Here comes the flogging - "You should have never baught an eMachines - they are disposable junk". Well I vow never to purchase eMachines again.)

Scott

You can usually resolve this by calling Microsoft at the number difficult to find on their website. Do not tell them more than they need to know.
Microsoft's official position is that the license dies when the motherboard dies. They can usually tell which computer the install was meant for... But we know a number of people who have been able to give them the details of the license tag on the computer (they may ask for any of those number sets) and get going again after being told it is a repair.
The eMachines T-2685 has the highest failure rate of any desktop computer made in the past six years due to the bad motherboard.
But you will get nowhere without the phone call, as there is no online way to resolve the issue.

eMachines MOBO

Thanks,

I think I need to have it boot up to something first before I call them. Right now I have tried all of the options and it just restarts but doesn't get to any type of windows screen other than the flash I get for about 1 second.

By the way, I did replace the PSU as well.

Scott

It helps a lot if you can use a full version of Windows and boot up in R or repair mode.
Also, for saftety, you can put that hard drive in another computer as a slave to drag and drop all the data to safety before you start.

This referenced post is in error when applied to this machine to that model of eMachines or 13 other high failure models. It is the motherboard that causes the power supply to fail. I do not understand why you keep posting that information when it is well established now that it is incorrect... Particularly with the T-2685, the C-2685, and the W-2685. We now have 300 of them in the warehouse. All have been thoroughly tested by engineers.
Power supply will not help the original poster recover his computer.

mobo

Thanks for your help and responding to my eMachines dilema. I am still looking to find

I see that you have been collecting eMachines with problems for potential legal action. I have the old motherboard that I took out of the case and would be willing to send it to you if it would help. If not then I will put it in the dumpster.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back