Emachines running very very slow

terry5880

hi all just bought emachinesD620-261G16Mi MODEL NO -ms2257 from a y whos had enough of it..manufactured in 2008 she bought it and was very slow so as insurance still valid she sent it back , they had it 8 months then she got it back and still same problem press power on button and takes a while to load to desktop but then every application u click I get the little timer circle come up and everything takes ages please help .. it has
amd athlon 2650e cpu , 1gb ram ddr2 160gb harddrive please help

just to add on it now and I close an application or even a photo and I get the timer circle takes at least 30 seconds before I can click anything else . and sometimes all the icons on desktop dissapear then reappear after a while

nope I am just installing avg anti virus and maleware bytes will check them I was thinking ram problem . anyway thanks for quick reply and will get back later

hi all thanks for your responses done avg scan 0 threats done maleware bytes found 3 infections so deleted seemed to be loading things quicker but still quite alot I get the little circle timer was thinking ram is very low will do ram test . thanks again all will update soon

hi just took fan out cleaned all dust out of the area . also went to crucial.com but cant find the series for some reason on there . and looked at ram area it has 1gb ram but 2 slots and bottom of laptop and harddrive area gets really really hot

Did you try getting the Crucial website to scan your laptop? It can usually recommend a memory upgrade after scanning.
Also, if the laptop get VERY hot, it could be worth reseating the CPU, to renew the heatsinking compound (treat it to some Arctic Silver or similar), if you're happy doing this.

yea was thinking of doing that just took loads of dust clogged in fan and now seems ok heat wise still slow . took over 1 min every time to shut down .. going pc world now to get extra 1gb ram so will be back after with the verdict thanks again

Sounds like DUFFY System Board or CPU or both. I know in the past where there were so many us Senior Techs trying to solve the mystery of the slow start-up system. Even if you where to replace Memory, System board and CPU, which ACER/Emachines to say just give you a new system but it's 2008 and they're not going to do it. Try blowing out the OS and sticking a better one. So many choices to deal with. PSU (power supply) also onboard devices can cause this issue. The Service Tech at ACER/Emachines didn't seem to catch the issue.

I would suggest wiping out the drive and doing a clean install of the OS. This is assuming the startup lag pertains to loading the OS and not the BIOS.

If it is lagging at the BIOS level, I would check the boot order, and also see if the BIOS can be updated to a newer version. Good luck.

hi all thanks for the info I done anti virus scan maleware scan etc 3 threat maleware deleted then I added 1gb of ram and it seams much better so will leave it at that if does it again then I will reformat windows . thanks again all

Have you scanned for malware? (the obvious IS my speciality:))

Just got a client that had a very slow machine and turns out the fan on the cpu was only running about half speed, not enough to cool the cpu but fast enough to be hard to detect the problem. I put a regular fan on the side of the case and within minutes the computer speeded up! I was starting a system restore but oh well the system needed it anyway!. I did tech support from 1985 to 1998 and am just now getting back into help seniors for free down here in Florida so if you need some free advice just give me a shout!

Last edited:
1 GB ram is a tad low, but don't go ape on that as a silver bullet.

Boot Safe Mode, login as Admin and click With Networking

When you get the desktop you can play with the browser.
Likely you have an infection, too many plugins, and/or a proxy configured in your network configuration.

Several steps can be taken to "lighten the load", such as pruning services and startups, but more on that later . . .

1 GB ram is a tad low, but don't go ape on that as a silver bullet.

Boot Safe Mode, login as Admin and click With Networking

When you get the desktop you can play with the browser.
Likely you have an infection, too many plugins, and/or a proxy configured in your network configuration.

Several steps can be taken to "lighten the load", such as pruning services and startups, but more on that later . . .

Also check to make sure you don't have dust, fuzz, paper in the fins of the cooling fan. I had that too!

FYI. The original problem is three years old already. I would think if the problem hasn't been resolved by now, we'd have heard about by now.

Back