Email (As We Know It) Doomed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Email (As We Know It) Doomed?

Posted by timothy on Tuesday November 19, @06:23AM
from the whitelists-plus-aggressive-filters dept.
Mephie writes "A pretty interesting article at Slate.com takes a look at how spam may be killing email as we know it. With the increase of spam, the argument is made that more users will switch from blacklisting spammers to 'whitelisting' specific, trusted addresses, making email more like instant messaging: if you're not on someone's 'buddy list,' you have to prove you're an actual person (e.g. identify a word in an image) to send a message." May be?

source: http://slashdot.org/articles/02/11/19/0439257.shtml?tid=111

One of my hotmail accounts receives about 100 spams per day. It NEVER gets any legitimate e-mail. I am thinking about cancelling it, and only really hang onto it because its phantasm66@hotmail.com.

I think that SPAM! is ruining e-mail.

I have a hotmail address you can have that doesn't get any mail if you would like..? Don't think the name is suited to you though dobber_arris@hotmail.com :haha: :giddy:

I agree that SPAM is making it more and more painful to open my frequently used email accounts. My morning routine now consists of deleting the same spam mail from my btinternet account and yahoo.co.uk accounts. It does make it harder to search through for the legitimate mails, and whitelisting does sound like a better idea than blacklisting since a lot of the time the spammers use multiple email addresses to spam with :(

Down with spam!

spam.jpg

If those who regulate the Internet choose to use this plan against SPAM, then it might hit internet revenue very hard. I wonder how much it would affect the Internet as we know it?

If I don't check my yahoo account at least every three days it will fill up. That's around 325 spam mails, luckily yahoo has some kind of bulk mail filter. Without it I would have had to change my address.

Take that spammers! :punch:
uh, the punch smilie isn't getting punched.
Why can't I Punch the smilie?:confused:

Ehehehehe my MSN account only gets about at least 10 spam emails per day. Sometimes even less than that.

Suckers!!! :evil:

Besides, I play around with some chickenboners. Only the ones that fake their headers are safe...most of the time :rolleyes:

I don't really have a problem with spam email. My AOL account which I just use for instant messaging, gets filled quickly, but I don't check that. I must be lucky

But I still think it is a horendous problem that needs to be solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back